Is this a scam?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by paul, Aug 21, 2000.

1. paul

paul Guest

Today i received this offer in the mail from capitalCredit 20331 Irvine avenue e3,Santa Ana Hts,ca.92707.
    It states that iv'e been preapproved for a gold card with a 15,000 credit limit just send 37.00 acceptance fee or 44.00 rush delivery fee.0% interest first year.They say i'm guaranteed this card without a credit check.Has anyone else out there received this type of letter in the mail?It's sighned by Donald D. Franklin

2. Mike

Mike Well-Known Member

i recieved it and there is no number or anything.. I know they are a scam.. be careful...

3. Larry

Larry Guest

It's source of a scam... you are getting a card, but is NO Visa, MasterCard or Amex... it's just a card for their catalog... The following is a message posted by KC...

Author: KC (pppa17-resalemodesto1-4r7275.saturn.bbn.com)
    Date: 07-31-2000 16:34

For all those who received the same letter approving you for $15,000, don't do it! It is nothing more than a catalog company which numerous complaints filed against them. Here is the report.

Capital Credit
    20331 Irvine Avenue Building E3
    Santa Ana Heights CA 92707

Business Started: Unknown
    File Open Date: 02/22/00
    Last Report Date: 07/28/00
    Principal Contact: Donald Franklin

Phone: (714) 881-7777
    Fax: (714) 881-7707
    EMail: Not Available
    Web Address: http://www.capitalcredit.com

Bureau ID: 13130531
    Member Status:

Nature of Business
    This company's business is offering credit cards for use when purchasing their catalog items only.

Bureau File Experience

We rate this company as having an unsatisfactory business performance record. This company has a pattern of complaints
    alleging misrepresentation of credit card and loan offers. Complainants state that they are led to believe that if they send money to the company, they will receive a major credit card or loan. Instead complainants receive a solicitation asking for more money for what the company describes as a Gold Merchant Card. This is not a Visa or Mastercard, and it can only be used to order products from the company's catalog. The company responded to complaints by stating a refund would be offered once the membership card and package was returned and explaining that they have no association with Visa or Mastercard. Four complaints remains unanswered. Companies that advertise the availability of loans or credit cards in exchange for an advance payment are required by law, to register with the Attorney General and post a $100,000 bond. Even if registered, it is unlawful to collect payments in advance of performing services. This company has not complied with this law. To verify registration requirements contact the Attorney General by calling 916-322-3360. This company is not a lender or credit card issuer. Therefore, they cannot guarantee or approve a loan or credit card. In spite of guarantees made to the contrary, it is almost always difficult to obtain a refund. The Better Business Bureau does not endorse, recommend or disapprove of any company, product or service.

Additional Phone Numbers

There are no additional phone numbers for this company on file.

Additional Trade names

Newport Trade Center

Additional Addresses

There are no additional addresses for this company on file.

****for more info, use the search tool on this site and Type Capitalcredit****

4. Creditinsi

Creditinsi Guest

It's the same as the Creditcorp deal, you can only use the card to buy from their catalog of expensive merchandise, save your money.

Regards,
    Alex.

-------------------
    Free Credit Help:
    http://www.Creditinsiders.com

5. Bobby R

Bobby R Guest

Not only that, but I did a little research ;) on their website, and the logon page that is for "Members" doesn't have any code that would allow you to login to anything. The "Server Busy" message is a crock. The entire site consists of 3 pages of MS Frontpage HTML.

6. Steven Z

Steven Z Guest

RE: Server Busy is code word f

Speaking of, I've only encountered that "Server Busy" message on occasions where some company sends me an email "claiming" that I am on their list because "I" gave them such authorization (yeah ssssuuuuuuuuurrre) and invariably while attempting to use their remove my email address option I come across this 'phony' message.

7. Lisa

Lisa Guest

We recently received the same type of letter with the exception that it is from a company by the name of Credicorp, Inc. They claim we are pre-approved for a Gold Card with a
    $ 10,000.00 limit and it is signed by Robert J. Armstrong, New Accounts Manager. They want us to mail in a $ 29.95 annual fee for immediate activation. Sounds a little fishy to me.

8. MS

MS Guest

Of course it is.

I always throw those letters away.
    They aren't worth even to read.

MS

9. Marc Wilso

Marc Wilso Guest

RE: Is this a scam? it is a sc

I got the same capitalcredit pre-approved letter and I sent it in. Its for a order by catilog. they give you 15,000 to spend on the crappy stuff.