Is this against the law

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Candi, Aug 15, 2001.

1. Candi

Candi Well-Known Member

I sent a letter r/r to key bank. I asked them not to contact me by phone at home or work, only to communicate through the mail. They received the letter on Aug.6, yet I received calls on the 10th, 13th and today the 14th. I never answer the phone and they left their name and number on my machine. Is this legal? I thought they couldnt contact you if asked them not to. I did give them the option of mail. This is about a credit card that I'm disputing? Any suggestions?
    Thanks,
    Candi

2. godaddyo

godaddyo Well-Known Member

If it keeps up you could report them to the FTC and the Attorney general in your state. The problem here that they need to be given time to update their records. Send a second letter if it doesnt stop within a week or two. If this doesnt work follow thru and repport them. By the way, it is not legal for them to harrass you if you have sent them a cease and desist letter. Just give them some time...If they start talking to others about your debt or threatening harm, report them immediately..

3. Candi

Candi Well-Known Member

well I didn't send a c&d but I did tell them not to contact me by phone. It has been a week, how long do I need to give them? I beleive they are doing this on purpose because when I sent the dispute and told them not to contact by phone, all of the sudden they start calling. Before I sent the letter I hadn't herd from them in about 3 months. I guess I'll give them a few days but I'd really like to sue them if I have grounds.
    thank you for your reply

4. KristyW

KristyW Well-Known Member

It doesn't sound to me like Key Bank is a collection agency, and I believe you can only ask a ca to stop contacting you. The original creditor can pretty much do what it wants as far as contacting you.