Is This Another Scam?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by myong, Mar 15, 2001.

1. myong

myong Active Member

I just got this email.

Dear Myong,

This is a follow up to your application with Card Search USA. It is our pleasure to present you with the following offer.

You Have Been Selected...This is No Mistake!
    You are approved to receive a credit card.

With a personal credit limit of $5000 guaranteed,
    regardless of your past credit history.

Then it gives the 800 # and the activation code.

I called them, and they said the name of their company was CMG Credit Corporation. They wouldn't tell me anything about the card unless I gave them the code and my personal information. I told them that I would check out thier company first and call back if I was interested.

So has anyone had an offer like this, or know of this company.
    Thanks
    Myong

2. Scam

Scam Guest

Trash it

3. Hal

Hal Well-Known Member

This sounds like one of the many scams on the market now. The company gives you a "credit card" (note it does not specify visa/mc) for an upfront enrollment fee. In return, if you are lucky, you receive a catalog for cheaply made overpriced items that you can purchase from them on "credit". Usually these are cheap ceramics or decorative items that you could buy of the same quality in a dollar store. Sometimes they require you pay a down payment on each purchase. They typically don't report to credit reporting agencies.

Anytime it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. If they won't give you any information without taking your information it is a scam.

4. myong

myong Active Member

Thanks for the input. That's exactly what I thought too, I just wanted to double check with the board.

5. Russ

Russ Guest

got the same thing last week but it was from us charge.....beware folks!