Is this legal?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by matty61184, Aug 15, 2001.

1. matty61184

matty61184 Well-Known Member

Hey, I'm 17 and look younger than it. Tonight I used my mastercard at the gas station and the damn clerk asked to see my drivers license because she thought I had stolen the card and all. Is this legal?

2. godaddyo

godaddyo Well-Known Member

Sure is.....

3. MT

MT Well-Known Member

Pay at the pump. :)

4. Hal

Hal Well-Known Member

There is nothing illegal about being asked to show ID when using a credit card. You should actually appreciate the gesture as it helps protect you against credit card fraud.

5. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

Hahahaha!! The day will come when that will be a compliment, Matty!!

Sooner than you think.

breeze

6. author_22

author_22 Well-Known Member

Matty,

Yeah it's legal...it's really to protect you. Cards and identities are stolen more often than most consumers know. (I know because I'm in the media business).

I know what you mean...when I had cards I got ID'd right and left, I was 18. My brother got approved online yesterday for a Best Buy card and when he took it to the store (with his ID) they got his signature, social security number, and had several witnesses and even a video camera. It is annoying, yes, but to stop the plague of credit card and identity theft.

Sorry you felt hassled...and use that card responsibly and enjoy :)

Steph

7. kbelle72

kbelle72 Well-Known Member

Did they tell you they thought you had stolen the card? That's pretty rude if so. I will tell you that I used to work retail in college and they encouraged us to always ask to see photo ID and make sure the name and picture matched. So, it was most likely nothing personal, just a clerk following orders.

8. Debmac

Debmac Well-Known Member

Back in my retail days, I had a customer present me with a CC, and being the Good DoBee I was (heh heh), I checked the sig, and he'd written:

"Please ask for Photo ID"

Seems the guy had been a victim of CC/Identity fraud... but I was mega impressed.

Deb

9. kbelle72

kbelle72 Well-Known Member

That is pretty impressive. It really is a pain when your credit cards get stolen. My parent's got stolen out of the mail, and the people managed to rack up $15K in debt. When my mom went to charge a birthday present for my dad, the card was denied. Needless to say, she freaked.

10. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

I am also curious... did the clerk actually SAY "you must have stolen this card b/c you don't look old enough to have one"?

or did you just take that from their demeaner?

(and you could be right... but I'm just curious if you were bluntly told that or not)

Regardless, I'd also take it ok... If you'd just lost the card and somebody found it you'd be happy clerks ask for id sometimes.

11. matty61184

matty61184 Well-Known Member

The clerk was like, "I was just checking to see if you stole the card, because you look awful young to have a credit card." I was kinda ticked about it, but I can see the value of preventing fraud. I then proceeded to explain that I have over a year's perfect credit history with an auto loan and 4 credit cards, which I showed her. I think I might upgrade to the Chase photo card. That will take away all the hassle.

12. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

=============
    Since you are in the media do you know any way of getting public exposure about credit complaints such as those being discussed here on?

13. author_22

author_22 Well-Known Member

Since I am involved in this myself, I could not justly write an article because it would be a conflict of interest.

I would contact a business editor or reporter at your local newspaper: the bigger the paper, the better, as they have a lot of interest in such issues.

Tell them what you want (or you can even email them) and you might get lucky.....an article may very well be written.....

If you do not want your name used, you need to tell them and ask for a pseudonym. Otherwise, they will assume it is OK to use your name.

Good luck!

Steph

14. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

Hay folks why don't we all do this ?
    Thanks Steph.