is this really so bad?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by the rock, Nov 13, 2000.

1. the rock

the rock Guest

Providian=2,000 limit=1,900. balance
    Orchard=300.00 limit=290.00 balance
    Capital one=1,000 limit=900.00 balance
    Capital one 1,000 limit= 950.00 balance
    Capital one K mart 600.00 limit=550.00 balance
    DMB secured 500.00 limit 350.00 balance
    Total around 5,400 owed annual income 40,000
    No one will give me an increase no other bills

2. sam

sam Well-Known Member

If you want more credit, and you're paying on time, get more cards!

citibank, chase, nextcard to name a few..

3. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

ALL AT THEIR LIMITS...THATS WHY NOBODY WILL GIVE YOU AN INCREASE.

Sugestion...pay off the card with the highest interest rate and see if that helps, if not pay off the next highest.

OR GET ALL DOWN TO 50% AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS.

4. dave

dave Well-Known Member

I agree with George. Being maxed out creates the perception of financial distress . Pay those cards down and you will get increases and better offers.

5. Cadillac408

Cadillac408 Well-Known Member

Yeah....it seems pretty bad to me. You're MAXED out on ALL of your cards. You say you make $40k and you have no other bills......why are you at your limits? Stop using your cards and pay them down to at least to 50% if possible. Then someone might want to give you an increase.

6. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

Well you ratio is 92% on your total debts, that my friend is high. I think that may be why you are not getting an increases.

7. sam

sam Well-Known Member

I was afraid to say this, but yes, you make a decent salary, and should have plenty of cash after bills/rent to pay a significant chunk of your cards down.

If nothing else, think about all the money you are spending on interest per month!

If you crunch and pay all your debts as much as possible you'll be debt free and have more cash per month to spend.

Then you don't really need to use credit cards unless you have an emergency or are buying a major item :) (ie car repair, wedding ring)

8. Reshod

Reshod Well-Known Member

When I spoke with the AMEX Rep., she stated that you need to be no higher than 40% debt ratio

Reshod

Momof3 wrote:
    -------------------------------
    Well you ratio is 92% on your total debts, that my friend is high. I think that may be why you are not getting an increases.

9. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

Remember to caculate finance charges in or you will be going over your limit with a few small additional charges. Gets a little expensive for over limit fees.

10. mj

mj Well-Known Member

Reshod-

Are you talking about the conventional 40% debt to income ratio (total of all monthly payments divided by gross monthly income) or are you talking about 40% utilization ratio (total of all revolving balances divided by total limits/high-credit reported)?

Reshod wrote:
    When I spoke with the AMEX Rep., she stated that you need to be no higher than 40% debt ratio

Reshod

Momof3 wrote:

11. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

Reshod-

Are you talking about the conventional 40% debt to income ratio (total of all monthly payments divided by gross monthly income) or are you talking about 40% utilization ratio (total of all revolving balances divided by total limits/high-credit reported)?

I am talking about his utilization ratio of revolving balances at 92% he will have trouble getting creditline increases.