Is this really true?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Adam, Oct 26, 2000.

1. Adam

Adam Guest

I was reading about the Fair Credit Reporting Act: "You have the right, once you notify a creditor that you dispute a bill, not to have your account reported as delinquent for 100 days after receiving notice from you." WOW! Has anyone had success with this?

2. Keith

Keith Guest

I don`t know how true this is but a collection agency sent me a notice for a charged off account after I sent in a dispute letter and I sent them notice that it was not mine (even though it was). This was about 3 months ago and I have`nt heard from them and it is not on my credit report. It did mention I had to respond within thirty days or they would pursue the collection. Note that this was a charge off I tried to negotiate, but the credit card company would not budge. It is also 5 years old.

3. roni

roni Well-Known Member

Yes, that is correct. But few of us know this and dont exercise it. Most of the time they say that the time has past and they have been notifying us for months. They usually put it on your report and then write you after the time is up if it is a collection agency. That is why some of us find out about some of these thing from our credit reports. For those of us who move around alot, this is especially true. But that is just my view. Yes, I read that in the FDCA.