Is too much research a bad thing?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by tracyb0313, Aug 11, 2002.

1. tracyb0313

tracyb0313 Well-Known Member

I've been researching CMI (credit management inc) and now I'm really nervous about the validation letter I sent out this week, for 2 time warner accounts. These guys sound mean, and for my little newbie self, I'm afraid they're going to chew me up and spit me out (all for a $70 and $84 debt) I really just want to pay for deletion, so I'm hoping that the validation letters provide me w/ some ammo to fight w/ later. I've read EVERY post that has CMI in it, and now I'm a nervous wreck. I was more confident BEFORE my research!!

2. robin

robin Well-Known Member

Tracey: I'm still waiting on replies to my post to help calm my nerves so I'll see if I can't help you out in the meantime. First of all, the validation for me is not so much an issue of whether they validate or not. It's more (for me) an issue of what they do after receiving my notice for validation which also clearly states that the account is disputed. This applies to both CA's and OC's. OC's don't have to validate but they must mark the account as "in Dispute " once they receive your letter. Now nine times out of ten they won't and then you have them on their first violation. But don't stop there. You can follow the letter series that's fine, but what I usually do is then dispute with the cra's at this time. I am trying to see if the account will be verified. If it is, you've got them on another violation. They are verifying a dept that is obviously in dispute as accurate constituting further collection activity. This is violation #2 which is $2000. for you. At this point I send them the estoppel-intent to sue letter. Letting them know I have them one several violations and giving them another opportunity to delete. Which in your case they probavly will since your balances are so low in relation to how much you will be suing for. Chances are at this stage they fold. If not file in small claims court. They will usually fold before it gets to court on a balance like yours. Sorry for the length but I like to be thorough.

3. tracyb0313

tracyb0313 Well-Known Member

thank you for your response. To be totally honest, I would do anything to avoid filing a suit. I'm a big chicken, and these are such small debts. I'm hoping that they screw up at least once, to give me something to throw at them, so they'll let me pay for deletion. These are valid debts, and I don't want to avoid paying them, I just want them to be gone when I do. I've gotten some good advice on this CA, so we'll wait and see. They should get the CRRR tomorrow, so the count down will begin!! I will dispute w/ the CRA's in a couple of weeks. I'll give them 2 weeks to mark it in dispute, and then I'll dispute to see if they validate. How does that sound? I know that's what I'm supposed to do, but I'm just not sure of the time frames.

Thanks so much for your help! Hope you get news on your library fine. May they delete, without having to go to court!!!