ISP Positngs :-) OR :-( ???

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by ShotCredit, Apr 6, 2001.

1. ShotCredit

ShotCredit Guest

How much info can one get from an ISP addy?

It's shame enough that I have these financial problems.

Is this just as bad as if there were a picture of me and a THUMBPRINT attached to the message???

2. me

me Well-Known Member

Re: ISP Positngs :) OR :-( ??

Depends... on whether you have a dynamic or static IP address. Although static is more easily traceable, dynamic addresses are also traceable with help from the ISP.

3. ShotCredit

ShotCredit Guest

Well...

Being in this kind of financial situation is a disgrace in and of itself.

I thought this board was a place to get/give help on these matters without compromising one's own privacy.

This "change" DISGUSTS me.

4. me

me Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if the "change" really means anything to the users. PBM had all the IP address internally anyway. If he somehow received a subpeona from a credit card company, he would have to divulge them anyway.

The change really only benefits the casual user who is able to ascertain the authenticity of the poster (at least in theory).

5. Shantel

Shantel Well-Known Member

I'm pretty PC savvy, but believe me Shot, I'm not interested in your IP. I don't believe anyone here really is. And it's ONLY a temporary thing. I don't particularly like it because I have a static IP address, from home AND from work. At work, I won't worry about it, but I won't post from home until things are different here. They're working on the registration and if you're upset, you might want to post through someone else if you have a static IP or not post until things are resolved.

6. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

Incidentally, most message boards do post the full IP address. People who have static IP addresses can purchase privacy software.

This is not that big a deal.

breeze

7. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

SUBPOENA

Author: me (rdu26-229-096.nc.rr.com)
    Date: 04-06-01 07:37

I'm not sure if the "change" really means anything to the users. PBM had all the IP address internally anyway. If he
    somehow received a subpeona from a credit card company, he would have to divulge them anyway.

A SUBPOENA FROM A "CREDIT CARD COMPANY" WOULD GO IN THE TRASH...a subpoena from a judge would have to be acted on.

8. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

Most websites

get your IP address when you visit. I own a website, and have a tracking program that gives your IP address, and unless you use a privacy program, your time zone, the site you were at previous to mine, how you arrived at my site (banner ad, link, etc) what pages you looked at, how long you were on each page, where you entered and where you exited. I can't tell who you are by this program, but I can tell if you come back to visit again. I don't use it for anything sinister, just to improve my site.

What they're doing here just makes it possible for everyone to see clearly if one connection is being used by different "identities" when posting, taking away the effectiveness of "Bobby's" campaign to create confusion. Internet providers aren't going to give out your name, except to law enforcement with a court order or subpoena.

If you are concerned about privacy, here or *anywhere* sign up for this service. http://www.defendyourprivacy.com/ I don't support the political party, but I do pay attention to their privacy notices.

breeze

9. sam

sam Well-Known Member

Re: Most websites

A few years ago, I worked at a very BIG isp that starts with an "E" :)

They log everything, and its easily trackable.

They log your login name, ip # , start of call (time/date) end of call (time/date) plus ANI (Called id information, non blockable).

Give someone a date and time, and ip # and in a few minutes the account name,email,personal info, and phone # calling from was easily pulled. Of course we could't give that info out, except with warrant.

10. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

11. ShotCredit

ShotCredit Guest

Should I post from HERE?

Hmmmm.

I will email you breeze. Thanks.

ShotCredit

12. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

I don't know...

where are you? hehe

13. ShotCredit

ShotCredit Guest

Re: I don't know...

The library
    Their printers print better than mine, so while using the Net here, I stopped by this board.
    :)

14. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

Oh, hahaha.

there's a service you can use. Email me from your main internet provider so I can be sure it's really you, and I will tell you where it is.

15. judyputy

judyputy Well-Known Member

Breeze

I don't think you should advertise a way to help people HIDE on this board. That's what the moderators are trying to avoid. So until they can make it a better board where we have to sign in with a password, suck it up and just post.

For anyone else who has a problem with this....If you don't want your IP listed... then don't post.

Simple as pie.

judy

16. MistyEyed

MistyEyed Well-Known Member

Re: Breeze

Would help alot and resolve some of these issues if this was a registration type board. Dont send people their password until they registered. This way they have to give a correct email address and the least to get their password.

Being in the web development business I can point some excellent ones out if ya need some suggestions.

Misty

17. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

giving shot some help

For the amount of time that I've been posting on this board, I've seen ShotCredit post regarding his efforts to get his credit mess straightened out. He is obviously distressed that someone might find out who he is, and I will show him how to post anonymously if he wants to know.

*If* you read my entire post and understood what I was saying, I said for him to send me an email from his regular ISP at home and I would tell him how to do it. If I am not sure who it is, I will not tell.

I got an email today from someone using Hotmail and a public connection: I refused to tell that person how to surf and post anonymously.

You do what you think is right, and I will do what I think is right.

I will accept any reponsiblity for what I do. :)

breeze