It Finally Happened...

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Erica, Mar 14, 2001.

1. Erica

Erica Well-Known Member

Due to the advice given on this board, I called the Bon Ton credit number. I had an account in good standing (the only one) with them a number of years ago. I explained my situation to the rep (ie. learned my lesson, want to rebuild, etc.) and she told me that the same thing happened to her.

So, I went down to the local store and filled out another application and was instantly approved! I still can't believe it! My credit history is horrible. They gave me a $300. limit.

So, now I'm on my way to getting back on track. Using the disputing method, and good payment history, I should be there in no time.

Thank you all for such great advice!! It really helps.

Erica

2. ShyGuy

ShyGuy Well-Known Member

did you have a BK?

I'd like to do the same with Macy's, but I have a Chapter 7 that discharged about a year ago. I'm thinking of trying, but Macy's is no longer even listed on my credit reports. (Don't think it's been seven years, and it definitly wasn't included in the BK.) Heck, I'd be happy if I could get a $100 limit from Macy's, which was my first credit card.

3. Erica

Erica Well-Known Member

Re: did you have a BK?

No BK, but I did have 4 paid collections, 1 settled for less than full balance, 1 unpaid charge-off, 1 reposession and 1 Student Loan collection(shouldn't be on there because I consolidated it.) That's just on my Equifax report. The Bon Ton pulls from them, so my chances were greater.

Hope this helps.

Erica

4. Erica

Erica Well-Known Member

I almost forgot, my FICO in 1/2000 waws 518 with Equifax, and 527 with Experian.

Erica

5. Toddone

Toddone Guest

Whats a Bon Ton? Where I live they are Potatoe Chips. Is this a retail place?

6. Erica

Erica Well-Known Member

The Bon Ton is a department store. Go to www.bonton.com and see for yourself!

Erica

7. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

AND WHERE IS THAT TODDONE???

Never heard of that potato chip...

8. mj

mj Well-Known Member

Federated & BK

If you want a Macy card, you'll have to apply 1st, but will most likely get auto-declined.

IF you have a good story - and some documentation to back it up (medical, job loss, etc etc etc) you can then call to the new accounts department.

They can override, and are more lenient than most banks.

Good luck-
    mj

9. ShyGuy

ShyGuy Well-Known Member

MJ: some Federated questions

MJ, what if I have an old account that was closed for lack of activity? Should I apply for a new account or call and give my old account number and see if that account can be reactivated? Or should I just go to a store and try to use the card and see what happens?

I actually had three Macy's accounts -- one from Missouri/Kansas (my first credit card ever), one from a real Macy's (though I can't remember if it was Macy's East or West) and one from Davidson's. None, however, still lists on my reports, though I could swear I've used a Macy's card in the past five years. Might Macy's still have records of these cards?

Do you know anything about any of the other Federated stores? Most of my Federated cards were closed when I tried CCCS, and all were paid in full. Will a good (and true) story work with them?

And I have a Rich's card that still lists on my reports as open (didn't owe Rich's or Macy's anything when I went through CCCS), though I haven't used it in years. Should I try to? (Funny, I know I've used a Macy's account more recently than I've used Rich's.)

I'd be thrilled if I could get a $100 limit from either Bloomingdale's (which lists twice -- one all positive, one with late pays -- on my reports) or Macy's. They are the Federated stores in this area.

10. mj

mj Well-Known Member

Re: MJ: some Federated questio

Shy-

Sit down and write all of your account #s down and then call Bloomies or Macys (whichever you like)... ask for new accounts, and see what they say (make sure you call btw. 9-5 Ohio time)

My experience is that they won't give you much advice-- they can't do much until you've applied and they have something on the computer to work with.

Get to a super. and tell your story - sounds good to me (you did pay them all ... that's really positive).

Good luck-
    mj