JBC & Associates Threats/Harrasment

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by mpbrowni, Sep 15, 2003.

1. mpbrowni

mpbrowni Well-Known Member

My wife got a call this morning from a guy named...get this....Joe Stone. He said he was an attorney with JBC & Associates. He claimed he had a check from 1999 that he was aiming to collect on. He went on to say that if he didn't receive his money by Wednesday he was going to file suit. My wife called me in a panic and after hearing the story I told her to calm down. First of all, the guy claimed the check was with Wells Fargo bank. We have never had an account with WFB. Secondly, we have never received any correspondence from this company. I also did a little research on the net..and found out this company is also known as National Check Control and is in some hot water.

I called the 800 number just to get an address. They answer the phone as "attorney's office". I just finished filing an online complaint with the AG of new jersey. It is illegal to represent yourself as an attorney and to threaten or harrass.

Any thoughts or dealings with this company?

2. keepmine

keepmine Well-Known Member

Get in touch with this law firm.

Posted by dedelman@edcombs.com (68.22.117.14) on September 10, 2003 at 20:20:12:

We have filed a class action against JBC in federal court in Chicago, alleging (a) misrepresentation of liability under state bad check statutes, (b) threats of litigation on time barred debts, and (c) sending of attorney letters without attorney involvement. The suit is presently on behalf of residents of IL, IN, WI and IA. We are interested in joining other residents of those and other states as plaintiffs and/or filing in other states. There is no financial obligation. You may have to appear for a deposition, possibly in Chicago or wherever a case is filed. You may recover up to $1,000 statutory damages under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, possibly any amounts paid on time-barred checks, possibly other statutory damages under state law (depends on the state), and possibly compensation for serving as class representative.

If you are interested, please send us your collection letters.

If JBC is harassing you, send them a certified letter directing them not to contact you.

If, as in most cases, the debt is time-barred, there is nothing they can do. They are not entitled to sue and their threats are empty.

Daniel A. Edelman
    EDELMAN, COMBS & LATTURNER, LLC
    120 S. LaSalle Street, 18th floor
    Chicago, Illinois 60603-3403
    (312) 739-4200
    (800) 644-4673
    (312) 419-0379 (FAX)
    Email: edcombs@aol.com
    www.edcombs.com

This communication may constitute advertising.

3. mpbrowni

mpbrowni Well-Known Member

Thanks for the quick reply...just emailed the attorney.

4. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

1* the guy claimed the check was with Wells Fargo bank.
    2*We have never had an account with WFB.
    3*National Check Control
    mpbrowni
    ====================
    1*
    2* Don't matter you can still get hit with NSF on it.
    3*This guy is an ex con.
    There were some postings about National Check Control just a few days ago.
    There have been other threads about them from time to time also.