jcpenny/secured visa

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by kim, Jun 2, 2000.

1. kim

kim Well-Known Member

I recently applied for a jcpenny account.Soon after I learned that of course!!! I was turned down!!!! They sent me a letter stating that I was turned down due to "No record of recent credit history."
    Within the same letter they sent an offer for a preapproved JCpenny first visa card with a $300 deposit. I have no credit and am trying to establish some without the sucured cards. Can anyone suggest where I can apply that will take a chance on somone new to the credit world. Also does anyone have this JCpenny first visa card. Should I try this out??? Please help.

2. kim

kim Well-Known Member

What are the interest rates, and terms with this card? When does this account become unsecured?

3. Mike M.

Mike M. Guest

I was approved for an Aria card with a $500 limit with no credit history. I did have a good job (pay and tenure), 10+ years at the same residence, and checking & savings accounts. Give them a try; it's instant approval (or possibly denial)! Despite what you may hear on this board, Aria is a good card. They must treat customers who have never had a poor credit history better than those in the sub-prime category. After my initial 200% credit line increase after three months, I received another $500 line increase after another month, then was upgraded to the Portrait account (lower APR). In the end, after 12 months, I have the platinum...

4. renae

renae Guest

From everything I've heard, Target would be a good one to try and possibly a gas card like Amoco or Mobil

5. kim

kim Well-Known Member

I am unsure what the interest rates of this card are but i do know that it becomes unsecured after 18 months. That seems like a very long time or this is standard time with other cards?

6. miles

miles Well-Known Member

Kim, that is the standard timeframe for a secured card to become unsecured. It is normally between 12-24 months. It would be a great way to build a positive credit history(if the terms are acceptable) & save some money at the same time(you'll receive it back with interest). I bet JC Penney will eventually give you their store card as well. Good luck!