Jim - Transunion update

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by LKH, Apr 23, 2001.

1. LKH

LKH Well-Known Member

I called TU again today. The rep went through the same bs that they will have to call me back. I asked why and was told another dep't is handling your file. I again asked why and she asked if I was an attorney.I told her no and what difference does it make. No answer. I told her I just had 1 question on my report to which she said she had no access to any part of my file. I said can you just tell me when I will get an updated report? She answered "on May 18th". So my guess is that they are trying to discourage people from disputing. She said she had no info on my file but she did tell me when it would be updated. I don't believe they have a separate dep't. Just scare tactics.

2. Bill Bauer

Bill Bauer Guest

Jim, something I'm just conjectureing about but don't have the foggiest if it would work or not. Let's see what others think.

Mount a FOIA demand upon them.

Anybody think that might have a crying chance of getting some results?

Bill Bauer

3. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

Hey LKH!!

Where were you last night? We missed your presence at the Creditmania chat. BTW, Kelly said she is nominally still with Lex. She hasn't spoken to them for a while. This is a little bit at odds with what I thought she said a month ago but it is close enough for government work.

I also think TU is trying to use scare tactics with you.

I have not received my updated EX report for the 3rd round of disputes. It has been 40 days since Junum says they disputed. I tried to order my EX file on-line several times and the system wouldn't let me in. Today, I called EX Credentials and ordered my report free. 40 days is not that bad but it is also not that good for EX. We'll see what happens.

Hey, did you get a look at any of the Lizard king stuff? I am here late at my office as we had farewell party for someone.

4. F.F.M

F.F.M Guest

Bill=FOIA

I am new to this.....!!!!

What is FOIA..???

Thanks Bill

5. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

Bill

I am disputing only 2 or 3 discharged BK credit card accounts respectively on each CRA report. LKH has some other stuff to dispute and I will let him speak for himself.

What is an FOIA?

6. DaveLV

DaveLV Well-Known Member

Re: Bill

I assume it's the Freedom of Information Act. I didn't think that applied to credit reporting agencies though -- just government records.

7. Bill Bauer

Bill Bauer Guest

Re: Bill=FOIA

FOIA is the Freedom of Information Act.

What I am "afraid" of is that it might only apply to governmental agencies and not private companies.

8. LKH

LKH Well-Known Member

Re: Bill

I had a dinner to go to last night. I was a little ticked that it ran so late. I missed my weekly dose of creditmania. But - I'll be there next week. I saw some of the crude remarks Lizardking made just before they were deleted. I posted about it but it was also deleted. There is no excuse in the world for calling someone those names - no matter what they may have done or said to disagree with him. Pathetic. I hope that Mom of 3 doesn't abandon the board as she said. TU says I will get my updated report on May 18. The dispute was mailed on 4/6. That according to my math is 42 days. The first round took them 2 weeks so I'm not real thrilled with this. Oh well, not much I can do about it.

9. Bill Bauer

Bill Bauer Guest

"afraid" that's true

I'm "afraid" that FOIA may only apply to governmental agencies in which case it's just another wild idea of mine.

We would have to check that out to be sure before we ever got stupid enough to use it only to find out it didn't apply the hard way.

10. Saar

Saar Banned

Re: "afraid" that's

LKH:

The CRA's operate call centers as a result of an agreement w/ FTC, which in return agreed not to sue them for other violations. The idea was to ensure consumers can communicate by phone w/ the CRA's.

Their latest trick of "your file is in another department to which you have no access" goes against the very idea of the agreement. Please consider filing an online complaint w/ FTC. The more complaints they get, the bigger the chance they act.

Saar

11. Maximus

Maximus Active Member

FOI only applies to GOVT

THe FOI only applies to Federal inquiries and constitutional provisions (civil rights notwithstanding) apply to governmental entities

12. LKH

LKH Well-Known Member

Saar

Do you know whaere I can read anything about this agreement? Also, to file an online complaint, do i just go to the FTC website?

13. chriscraft

chriscraft Well-Known Member

To Jim & Saar

Guys, I called TransUnion this morning to have certain mortage inquiries consolidated on my report. I received the exact same response from them - that my file was not accessible and that someone would have to call me back. They would not tell me anything further beyond that. What gives? If this response is in violation of some agreement they have with the FTC, then I will be pleased to immediately file a complaint against them. Any info you can give me to help me file such a complaint would be appreciated.

14. Bill Bauer

Bill Bauer Guest

Wrong way to fly

In my own personal opinion, I think calling them is the wrong thing to do. Personally, I would never call them for any reason that I can think of.

In my own personal opinion, I think it's far better to do everything with them by letter. Phone is faster, of course, and more convenient. But just does not work as well sometimes as letters do.

bill bauer

15. chriscraft

chriscraft Well-Known Member

Re: Wrong way to fly

Bill, I have tried the letter approach and gotten absolutely nowhere. If you would take the time to review past posts to this board over the past 6 months or so, you would see that numerous people on this board have had excellent success dealing with issues over the phone. If this approach ultimately proves unsuccessful for me, then I will have to return to writing letters.

16. molly

molly Well-Known Member

I get the worst rep

When I call, I get the worst rep and and fee like hanging up but since I already but i my info. I don't want to hang up. What do you suggest?"