Joint Card Holder vs Authorize

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by J Thomas, Jun 22, 2000.

1. J Thomas

J Thomas Guest

I just recently checked my credit report and it shows me as as having a Joint Account, on a credit card that I never co-signed for, although I was made an authorized user of.

I was under the impression that if I didn't co-sign then I had no liability, and the account wasn't mine in a 'credit' sense either.

I called the reporting agency and was asking for this account to be removed... and they said, that i'd have to speak with the Bank, but as a Card Holder, I am still responsible for the debt.

Am I right in thinking, that if I didn't co-sign then i'm NOT a 'Card Holder' and/or liable?

2. jshimmer

jshimmer Well-Known Member

RE: Joint Card Holder vs Autho

If you never signed the application as a joint cardholder and as long as you don't live in a state where married people are responsible for eachother's debts regardless of who opened what (yes, there ARE states like that), then you do not have a legal responsibility to repay. Authorized user is just that - a user - not responsible for the repayment of the debt.

3. J Thomas

J Thomas Guest

Avtually the original applicant for the cedit card is my x-father in law ... so we were not married.

I would assume this would be akin to a parent extending credit card priviledges to a child ... yes ?

4. citibank r

citibank r Guest

Yes It would be. However if you did not sign the application you have no legal liability for the debt. You can call the credit card company and have then order a copy of the application if they do not see your signature on it the company will remove it from your credit report for you.