Joint CC to Solo?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Pat, Apr 30, 2001.

1. Pat

Pat Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if it's possible to go joint on one of my wifes credit cards and then after some months drop her off the card making it just mine?

I know this is probably a stupid question. But she has 3 cards at phenominal interest rates with high limits. She is at the point where she has too much credit available(in her opinion), AT&T card just gave her an unasked for increase to $18,500. She wants to get rid of one of her cards and I'm killing myself to get a nextcard at 21%. I'd hate to see this card go away if there's a shot at doing the above.
    Thanks,
    pat

2. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

You might be able to be added as a "JOINT"...but after your a joint...I don't think you can dump her.

WORK WITH HER CARDS TO PAY OFF YOUR HIGH INTEREST CARDS...WE DO IT ALL THE TIME...

When your cards are paid off threaten to close them if they don't increase the credit line and/or lower the interest rate.

3. Cadillac408

Cadillac408 Well-Known Member

This might be a shot in the dark but here goes nothing:

I have a friend who had an account that she was an AU on (I think? FUSA) w/ her husband. When they were going through a divorce, she called the credit card company to tell them that she was getting a divorce (almost final) and that after they split everything, the courts decided that she would be responsible for the account. So she asked the company to take his name off and put her on as primary. They did. I think they might have had to contact her husband to verify but the bottom line is that they took him off.

4. Pat

Pat Well-Known Member

George, MP$40,
    Thanks for responding :)
    I think that it might be worth a try. The first challenge is getting on the card.
    pat

5. sam

sam Well-Known Member

there's no problem dropping a person as long as the balance is $0. Getting joint, you'll have to apply and qualify for the credit criterion the card has on it.

6. Pat

Pat Well-Known Member

That means it will be a really big challenge. I'll have to have her hold on to it, until I'm back in Prime territory. Maybe I'll start with an AU.
    Thanks,
    pat