judgement removal question

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Laura, Jul 10, 2000.

1. Laura

Laura Guest

In February of 1993 a judgement was issued against me for $700 in a case of broken lease to a landlord. This was paid by me in monthly installments to the landlord by cashier's check and paid off in the summer of '93. I recently discovered that this judgement was still showing up on my credit report -- I called the courthouse and they said it is the plaintiff's responsibility to report that the judgement was paid. When I called the landlord, he denied remembering the situation, then denied that I paid it. Well, I don't have any proof that I paid it. My question is: since 7 years have gone by, shouldn't this judgment be off my record anyway? Do I have to wait until the end of 2000? Or do I have to ask the credit reporting agencies to remove the judgement from my report myself?

Thanks,

Laura

2. Kristi

Kristi Guest

First of all, that is completely incorrect. It is NOT your responsibility to report someone elses judgment against you as paid. Tell that slumlord that he has 30 days to file a satisfaction of judgment or be held in court for damages. It is the law that the judgment creditor (landlord) MUST file a satisfaction no more then 30 days after it has been paid.

Don't even let this slip by you. Advice him of the consumer protection laws that regulate fairness and tell him to read the back of his forms he files when he sues people! Its right there in black and white.
    Good Luck!
    Kristi
    CarreonandAssociates.com
    ps: Dispute this thing ASAP to the CRA. If this guy can't remember suing you, he certainly can't justify the debt! It will probably come right off.

Laura wrote:
    -------------------------------
    In February of 1993 a judgement was issued against me for $700 in a case of broken lease to a landlord. This was paid by me in monthly installments to the landlord by cashier's check and paid off in the summer of '93. I recently discovered that this judgement was still showing up on my credit report -- I called the courthouse and they said it is the plaintiff's responsibility to report that the judgement was paid. When I called the landlord, he denied remembering the situation, then denied that I paid it. Well, I don't have any proof that I paid it. My question is: since 7 years have gone by, shouldn't this judgment be off my record anyway? Do I have to wait until the end of 2000? Or do I have to ask the credit reporting agencies to remove the judgement from my report myself?

Thanks,

Laura

3. Kristi- Ca

Kristi- Ca Guest

First of all, that is completely incorrect. It is NOT your responsibility to report someone elses judgment against you as paid. Tell that slumlord that he has 30 days to file a satisfaction of judgment or be held in court for damages. It is the law that the judgment creditor (landlord) MUST file a satisfaction no more then 30 days after it has been paid.

Don't even let this slip by you. Advice him of the consumer protection laws that regulate fairness and tell him to read the back of his forms he files when he sues people! Its right there in black and white.
    Good Luck!
    Kristi
    CarreonandAssociates.com
    ps: Dispute this thing ASAP to the CRA. If this guy can't remember suing you, he certainly can't justify the debt! It will probably come right off.

Laura wrote:
    -------------------------------

Thanks,

Laura