Judgements are killin' me!

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Carrot, Oct 18, 2000.

1. Carrot

Carrot Guest

Has anyone on this board had any luck getting judgements removed from your credit report? My credit is bad, but improving, but the judgements are really killing any chance I have of getting decent credit.

I read somewhere to send a letter to the CRAs demanding that they prove the debt is yours and provide evidence of your SSN in relation to the reported judgement? Have any of you heard of this tactic? Also, how do they verify judgements--with the plaintiff or the courts?

TIA

2. Arthur

Arthur Guest

I had 10 judgements, (yeah I was stupid 5 years ago) The courthouse around here disregards most of what the credit bureau sends it, so they just vanish from the reports...I had all 10 deleted, first time around, and they'll never reappear too...in case you're wondering, they are 5 years old. Most of the creditors have merged w/ bigger banks, and I doubt they'll come after me after this long. I live in MD

3. Cadillac408

Cadillac408 Well-Known Member

OH, so you disputed w/ the CRA and they tried to verify with the courthouse and it came back unverified, thus deleted???? Please elaborate!!!!!!!!

4. Arthur

Arthur Guest

thats exactly what I did, I said I've never had a judgement, and they ALL WERE REMOVED, unverified!

5. Cadillac408

THANK YOU!

I'll be sending that dispute letter out RIGHT NOW!!!!!

Thank you so much! Such VALUABLE information! That's why I hang around these boards!!!!!! :-D

FYI...I paid the judgement but nothing has been reported. Equifax (which isn't showing the judgement) updated the account with the creditor to report as "Closed By Consumer". But it's still showing a balance which I paid. I'm still trying to figure that one out!!!

OH....another question: What was your specific reason that you gave to the CRA when disputing this judgement?

TIA!
    MP$40

6. Cadillac408

I'm stupid!

Sorry Arthur...you clearly stated your reason that you gave for disputing....I was just so excited that there might be a glimmer of hope for me!!

7. A New ONe

A New ONe Guest

RE: THANK YOU!

I disputed mine too, on the bases that the judgement were not mine. I didnt "own" and I wasn't going to "pay" for it, so it wasn't mine. Gone from all three reports for about a year. the judgement was filed in '96. Dispute the damn things........and get it over with.

8. Cadillac408

To A New ONe...

Here's how my judgment is listed:

Public Record Info
    Claim amount: $1311
    Plaintiff: XXX

Then under credit information (where all my other accounts are listed) it has Plantif XXX listed, all the info about the account, balance ($1258), and that the account has been charged off. Now if I dispute the judgment, will the CRA think that I'm being frivilous and trying to do credit repair(since there is a charge off for around the same amount by the same Plantiff XXX) and just ignore my request?

But how does the CRA know if I've been actually taken to court over the matter? They don't unless they verify! OH....I SEE NOW!

9. zip

zip Well-Known Member

RE: To A New ONe...

I also have one judgement against me that i found out about when i pulled a credit report. I was never notified about this and had no idea that I had been taken to court. I called the bank who is listed in the judgement and they told me it was due to a returned check. This all happen after i had moved out of that state. I said i would pay it-though i dont feel i should pay court costs as i had no idea about this. I asked if the judgement would be removed and they said they would only put " satisfied" I want this removed as i am trying to buy a house and this is the only black mark on my credit. thank-you in advance!

10. Cindy

Cindy Well-Known Member

RE: To A New ONe...

MP$40,

I also had a judgement removed by following the same steps that Arthur did, so it _can_ happen. In my case, I was helped by the fact that the county in which the judgement occurred listed only an amount ($200) and NO case number or any other identifying information. BTW, the judgement was for parking tickets that my ex-husband had run up while using my car. $#@%%$#$#%. I do believe the credit gods were looking out for me that day....

Cheers and Prosperity,
    Cindy