judgements from other states?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by kenc_69, May 21, 2001.

  1. kenc_69

    kenc_69 Member

    can someone get a judgement against you from another state. how can they do that without serving you a subpoena to appear?
  2. bbauer

    bbauer Banned

    Yes they can. But the judgement action against you must be placed in the state in which you live, not the state in which they live.

    I find some problem with that because it's a point I'm not all that familiar with. Here is my confusion and maybe squawk 1200 or someone more knowledgeable on this matter than I can clear up some of this for us.

    Let us suppose that a creditor wants to sue you then that creditor must file suit in the state where you live. I believe that to be true unless someone can prove differently.

    Let us suppose that you want to sue a company. I don't think you have to go to their state to sue them. You can sue them and make them come to you. Is that or is that not true??

    Somebody, help us out here.

    I've always just sued them here in Oklahoma and hed not problems. Maybe that's just how Oklahoma law is or what?

Share This Page