Judgment & creditor out of

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Paul, Apr 5, 2001.

1. Paul

Paul Guest

What next?!

I'm trying to figure out how to go about removing a $156 judgment from 1995 from my cb's which shows as filed/not satisfied. I paid the judgment (no proof though), but the company who got the judgment went out of business in 1997.

Any ideas?!

Thanks,

Paul

2. Saar

Saar Banned

Re: Judgment & creditor ou

See if you can find legal grounds to file a motion to vacate judgment. If it has some merit, and the plaintiff does not respond to your motion (very likely if it went out of business), you can have it vacated (and removed from your credit file).

Saar

3. Paul

Paul Guest

Thanks Saar.. great idea. I wonder if there is any statute of limitations to file this motion?

Paul

4. DaveLV

DaveLV Well-Known Member

If you sue a company that's out of business you're going to have a hard time trying to get them served. I don't think they have to show up if you don't serve them.

5. Saar

Saar Banned

Not at all. They can be served at the address (or law office) written in the lawsuit. If they can't be served at the address they themselves had designated, most states would still consider the papers lawfully served. It's a matter of basic civil procedure.

Saar