Judgment

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by iluvmykids, Sep 13, 2003.

1. iluvmykids

iluvmykids Member

Can a judgment be filed even after a payment arrangement has been made?

2. snakeman

snakeman Well-Known Member

Generally speaking, no.

But, if you miss any payments, it is likely they could.

SnakeMan

3. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

1*Can a judgment be filed even after a payment arrangement has been made?
    i luv my kids
    2*Generally speaking, no.
    3*But, if you miss any payments, it is likely they could.
    SnakeMan
    =========================
    1*Depends on when the payment arrangement was made.
    Also depends on if you make the payments as required or you don't do as required.
    2*
    3*They can't just go get a judgment simply because you failed to make the payments.

THE END ** *** ** LB 59
    """"```--~~~~~~~~~--```'""'''

4. iluvmykids

iluvmykids Member

We had been making the payments for a few months already before the judgment was filed. What would be the purpose to file once payments were being made? Is it so they can legally add interest and legal fees? This happened to us a couple of years ago, and now I'm finding places like this that are getting me to think that we have been really "dumb" with all of this stuff. I was so scared when we were initially contacted by the lawyer that I just wanted to get money sent to them. We didn't do anything when the judgment was filed so I guess then it was a default judgment against us. We couldn't afford an attorney as we were going through so much financially. I so wish I had known about this place!

5. jlynn

jlynn Well-Known Member

I asked this in your other thread, and I don't think ever really got a clear understanding.

Were you served a summons by the court that you were being sued over a debt?

If so, is that when you made payment arrangements?

If that is the order (and thats how I am understanding it), what it sounds like, is they accepted your payment arrangements, but rather than dismiss the suit, they appeared in court and obtained a judgment (default because you didn't appear), in order to protect themselves.

6. iluvmykids

iluvmykids Member

No, we didn't get any court papers until after we had already made an arrangement which is why we ignored them. I had no understanding of default judgment, etc. and never inquired as to why they filed. I guess I just assumed that's the way things were done. That is why I'm wondering why it was done in that order? We already had an arrangement, but then they filed papers after we had already begun the payments.

7. jlynn

jlynn Well-Known Member

They did it to protect their interest. And since you ignored it, they got everything they asked for :(

8. iluvmykids

iluvmykids Member

That's what I figured. Oh, well....live and learn.

9. lbrown59

1*No, we didn't get any court papers until after we had already made an arrangement which is why we ignored them.
    2*I had no understanding of default judgments.
    I luv my kids
    ```````````````````````````````
    1*By ignoring them you basically gave them permission to do whatever they wanted.
    You are lucky they didn't ask the court for $80,000 instead of $8,000.
    2*Bet you won't ever ignore court papers again.

THE END ** *** ** LB 59

10. iluvmykids

iluvmykids Member

I'll never be in the position to get court papers again!

11. lbrown59

1*Can a judgment be filed even after a payment arrangement has been made?
    iluvmykids
    ====================
    1*Yes if you make a payment agreement befor apearing in court the plaintiff can have the court award a default judgment because you did not appear in court.

2* Generally speaking, no.
    But, if you miss any payments, it is likely they could.
    SnakeMan
    ================
    Rite.

Yes
    THE END ** *** ** LB 59
    http://teamhouse.tni.net/Misc/bestphotos2003/bestphotos.htm