Junum yea or nay?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Becky, May 17, 2001.

1. Becky

Becky Well-Known Member

Any & all comments about using this company is appreciated.

On my combined tri-CR I have 16 incorrect items. My husband has six. Just wondering if it would be worth having someone else deal with these CRA's or try & do it my self.

Also any comments on these companies that say they can have even get judgments, charge off's & BK taken off? Are they for real?
    Thanks
    Becky

2. LoFico

LoFico Well-Known Member

Becky,
    I wieghed all my options before I got started disputing. My thoughts at the time were this. If you go with Junum, you will have to provide them with your fresh reports every month. This means you have to mail them all three reports every time you get them back from the CRAs. I figured I could just as easily send out letters to the CRAs and handle it myself. Also the added benifit of doing it yourself is that you can pick which items to dipute every month. Also it's free, except for stamps. I really dont like letters floating around out there that have supposedly been signed by me. That made me a little nervous. It is really not that hard to handle yourself. Best of luck.

3. DaveLV

DaveLV Well-Known Member

I agree with you that it's pretty easy to do yourself, but I can never gauge where my attention is going to be focused 6-12 months in the future, and while I think I would be really good at doing this myself right now, I might loose interest or become discouraged in the future or if I got a round or two of unfavorable results. That's why I decided to use Lexington.

I picked Lexington instead of Junam because although I'm not naive enough to believe that a lawyer is actually handling my case for $35 a month, there is a lawyer of some sort involved in the process at some point. Also the per-deletion fee would have made Junam more expensive in the long run for me. If I pay Lexington the $75 retainer and then $35 a month for a year, that comes out to $460. I have at least 12 negatives on each of my credit reports. If Junum were 100% successful, that would be $288 for the deletions and $14.95 a month for the service for a total of $467.40 for the year.

I still think Junum would be less expensive overall (because I don't expect a 100% success rate for the disputes) but it's close enough that the lawyer thing pushes Lexington over the edge for me.

4. Shantel

Shantel Well-Known Member

I too weighed all the options and I went with Junum.

I didn't want to bother with mailing letters and keeping up with the CRAs. I'd written dispute letters before, had one or two things fixed (with the original creditors) and it took forever and it made me tired!

On the other hand, I'm entering round 3 with Junum and after this round, I will be handling the disputes myself. That's assuming Junum has removed all but a few.

If you only have a few, I'd dispute them yourself. Be sure to read all you can because the CRAs are crafty and one false "move" could mess you up good. Get as many sample letters as possible and be prepared to battle if it comes it. It's like having another job and you HAVE to stay on top of it!

Good luck!

5. DaveLV

DaveLV Well-Known Member

This board is a great resource. You can't do any better than this thread: one person for doing it yourself, one for Lexington and one for Junum.

Whatever you decide to do -- good luck, and let us all know what happens.

6. Reshod

Reshod Well-Known Member

nay?

I weighed out my options and went with Junum. This was August of last year, to me they were slow and didnt really care about customer service. I have seen many success stories about Junum. But personally speaking, I had to threaten to contact my state Attorney General's office to get recredit for payments, after I cancelled the account.

Plus disputing your own reports is not that difficult and not really that time consuming. I do my own disputing with better results than Junum. You just have to find the template letters and customize them to your situation.

I know that Junum offers programs, like a credit card and various loans. However, when I was a member and inquired about these programs, I received NO RESPONSE.

7. Becky

Becky Well-Known Member

I at this point am so exhausted with the whole credit thing. I don't know what to do.

I spent last year fighting with the CRA & got some deleted. I had court papers for everything that was negative on our files. Both my husband & I have the same credit. Yet some of mine would come off & different stuff on his would come off.

Even though I sent the paper work in I got back verifyied on items. How do you fight that. One paticular item was a judgment 4/22/99 vacated 4/25/99. TU says verifyed 3/200 when I disputed it. I called the court house they said no way it was verifyed there files indicate vacated. Called TU was told they verifyed it & that's all that matters. This went on for months. It's still there.

I don't know if metally I can do it and fincially we really can't either. We want to get a loan & with all the crap that's on there we can't.
    Thanks everyone,
    Becky

8. Reshod

Reshod Well-Known Member

Becky

In that situation, I would dispute that item one more time. If it comes back verified this time, request information pertaining to the name and address of the person who verified the information.

If they fail to provide the info, refuse to re-investigatge the info, or re-verify the info, then send a letter to the reporting agency stating that you are intending to do file a lawsuit in small claims court for violation of the FCRA.

There is a letter floating around creditnet, so just do a search on creditnet.

I hope this helps and good luck

9. Cadillac408

Cadillac408 Well-Known Member

Re: nay?

Funny you should mention that. I ran across the same problem also. Any time I inquired about their various other programs, I received no response. I was under the impression that they were basically trying to hide their credit repair program under the others programs so that they don't look like a credit repair agency (which they basically are). Besides, do you know of anyone that has taken advanted of their other programs? I don't!

10. Nave

Nave Well-Known Member

If you have time and energy to continue your credit repair...by all means continue...If you are asking does Junum work...they do

For 15 bucks a month I have paid 60 bucks so far, I am beginning round 2...I just received my round 1 reports they successfully deleted 7 items.

What's an hour worth to you, at my rate they are worth it. I would have had to spend some time composing the dispute letters being careful what to say what not to say and how to say it. Not that it is difficult, it is not what I would call difficult....it is time, and for me that is a WHOLE LOT MORE THAN JUST A COUPLE STAMPS. Simply keeping up reading this board preparing to send the correct letters would have to also add into that time. I admit, I have to Xerox my 3 reports...walk to Fed Ex every 2 months and send them to Junum and that takes about 20 minutes (unless I do it from work and then it takes about 5)

60 bucks is less than one hour of my billable time. I guess it is up to you what you do...but again if you are asking do they work?...yes for me (and many others on this board) they have been successful. If you are wondering whether you should continue doing it yourself...that is something I can not answer. I would suggest if you had less than favorable results doing things on your own that you might want to try Junum for 6 months and see how they do. If they do nothing at all, it still will cost you less than a hundred bucks, if it costs you more, that means they got things deleted and it would be worth it. Don't let it get confusing it isn't, it is a simple choice.

-Dave

11. Nave

Nave Well-Known Member

Sorry math at work does not compute :)

So far Junum has billed for 70 bucks:

2 months at 15$ per month =$30
    + 4 deletions @ 10$ per deletion = $40
    (Junum charges only 4 deletions in a month)

but even if you add the other deletion charges ($30)
    it is $100 ... still less than it would have cost me in time and aggravation.

Sorry for the lack of computational skills at work...that side of my brain needed coffee :)

-Dave

12. DaveLV

DaveLV Well-Known Member

Are they up to $10 a deletion now? In March when I was looking at them they were only charging $8.

13. Nave

Nave Well-Known Member

Actually I can not tell you for sure...maybe in my mind I rounded up to $10.

I went to Junum and could't find the info so I checked my account and I have only been billed for the monthly fees ($30) I'll tell you next month...$8 or $10 either way it's worth it if you lack the time/energy/or just don't want to do it on your own. But you know that or you wouldn't be with Lex :)

-Dave

14. Dustin

Dustin Well-Known Member

I personally do everything myself. I did consider using Junum for a while, but I didn't do it. This has actually become kind of a hobby for me, and it takes great organizational skills. I have started helping my friends and my Mom to get their credit repaired.

There is a good feeling when you get the letter in the mail that says:

DELETED!

Makes you feel you accomplished something. But remember that it does not come overnight. Many of the things that I disputed were incorrect, or partially incorrect (and completely deleted).

Whatever you decide, good luck!

15. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

Ok, based on most everyone's kind words on the other thread, I'm going to trust you all that it is o.k. for me to post.

I love Junum and have never held back on saying so.

As for deletions, if you signed up before they lowered the monthly fees (as they are now), you pay $8 per deletion. That is me. If you signed up after they lowered the monthly premium, it is $10 per deletion.

Junum corrected mistakes that I had tried for 6 months to correct. I have found them to be very responsive. I have the time (in my head, maybe) to complete the disputes myself but Junum has dones such a fantastic job (22 deletions) that I can honestly say they do a better job than I did myself and I consider myself a pretty intelligent (some would argue) person.

On another note, should you choose to not go with Junum, I totally support your decision. I think this decision is not necessarily yea or nay. It is more just trial and error. If it works for you, great..if it doesn't, cancel.

Best of luck!

16. Erica

Erica Well-Known Member

Welcome back Nana! Good to see you posting again. I agree with you totally.

Although I have not received round one results from junum yet, I have heard great things about them. The main reason I decided to join is the fact that I had disputed and been successful, but lately, I've hit a brick wall. Therein lies my decision to join.

Anything the original poster decides will be supported totally be me! Good luck to you!

PS: I'm at a friend's house, so if the IP is different than normal you all know why.

17. Hal

Hal Well-Known Member

I was also skeptical at first. I have just received my second of the three credit reports from the first round. My results thus far (round one):

Experian: 4 disputes
    Judgement - Deleted
    Two Collection accts - Deleted
    Open/delinquent account - updated pmt history

Equifax: 4 disputes
    Judgement - Deleted
    Two Collection accts - Deleted
    Open/Delinquent account - updated pmt history

On the Open account the payment history was updated to show a longer period of past due pmts - not what I would have liked but for my money 3 of 4 on each report was a nice result. I am still waiting on TU.

I also want to mention I have tried for 9 months to get the information on all these deletions done myself directly with the CRA's. All I ever received was "verified" or "previously investigated" responses.

I don't know how Junum does this, but for my money, it is worth it.