Just Got Laid Off

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Concerned, May 14, 2001.

1. Concerned

Concerned Well-Known Member

My life could not suck anymore than it does right now. Geez.

2. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

SORRY...

Something better is out there.

What line of work?

3. creditwork

creditwork Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear that. A lot of people go into business when they lose their jobs. Look for something you love to do and work at it.

www.creditsense.com

4. hurricane5

hurricane5 Well-Known Member

Concerned,

I know this doesn't help much, but Keep Your Head Up!!! I was on the opposite end a few weeks ago, and had to lay off half of the GREAT people that reported to me...not a pleasant experience on either end!!

Stay positive, and something better will come along!

For Real this time, not...

5. LoFico

LoFico Well-Known Member

If I were laid off, I would seriously look into starting my own business. Most of the affluent people I know are their own bosses'. Anyway I wish you the best of luck! Chin up.

6. MikeG

MikeG Well-Known Member

Keep your head up. Use this unforseen negative and turn it into a positive. I know it sound corny, but those who succeed do just that.

Mike G.

7. miles

miles Well-Known Member

I am very sorry to hear that. I was laid off in the past from my job too after many years of service. I know what you're going through and I know it's tough, but things will get better. There are many companies that are looking for talented people which I am sure you are in that category. DON'T give up!! ;-)

8. Concerned

Concerned Well-Known Member

Yeah, technical consulting is really getting hit hard right now as everyone in NYC is tightening their belts. I got a decent severance package and I turned a couple of full-time offers a month or so back that are "always open" so we'll see.

This credit stuff has been draining and I probably could use some time off anyway.

Thanks for all the support guys!!!!

9. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

Technical - NYC?

what about - Verizon, Sprint, ATT, etc- not a startup ?
    Hang buddy - you'll get employed quickly.

Dotcoms are in a downturn, BUT, the big providers are growing.

let us know for sure - start w/ monster.com-
    as soon as you enroll, you'll relax.

c ya dogman

10. kenny

kenny Well-Known Member

Re: Technical - NYC?

Hey concerned it will work out, if people on this board remembered the same thing happened to me in Feb. IF you serach for my post just layed off you'll see. I found a job in 3 weeks but the time off did hurt my bank account. I didn't miss any bills but it took out all of my savings. I am trying to build it back up now.
    Oh got on unemployment right now, if you live in new york you can do it over the phone. I got 405.00- a week for the 3 weeks I was out. It was barely enough to cover all my bills.
    Plus I just had a baby 3 weeks prior to being layed off and my girlfriend wasn't working so if I can make it out of the hole with a car note and a new born you'll be able to. Keep us posted on what happens. Serach www.monster.com put you resume on there.

11. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

Applause AGAIN kENNY!

kENNY i'VE HAD A ROUGH YEAR MYSELF, BUT, YOU ARE A TRUE INSPIRATION.

I applaude your efforts - and your commitment
    to taking care of some other HUGE obligations.

Great - you're blessed more than you know.
    I suspect you do know :)

c ya DOGMAN

12. kenny

kenny Well-Known Member

Re: Applause AGAIN kENNY!

Thanks it was tough. Aruging when the money was tight just tryot learn from me and not aruge with your girlfriend or wife over money issues at this time. I was so nervous but it ended up working out. I have to thank the people on this board though becuase they stepped up for me and gave me words of encouragement and advice when I was down, so after that point I decided never to just lurk again when I think I can help out.
    That's why I love this message board. they regulat poster are sort of like family.

13. godaddyo

godaddyo Well-Known Member

If anyone ever thinks about seriousily starting a business, I have a good site to get questions answered, from people who have experience and ideas like those who post here. Its www.richdad.com click on the discussion groups and get crackin, I did it a while back and I was glad to have the guidance.

Concerned, it will get better if you believe it will, you sound like a survivor to me.

14. DaveyBoy

DaveyBoy Well-Known Member

Concerned:

I'm not sure if you're up to it, and I don't know your desires for employment, but I'm in technical consulting. Yes, the market is very weary, but my company is one of the few that is actually hiring.

If you're at all interested, post a response and we'll connect. (no, I'm not a recruiter...just someone willing to help :)

15. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

So sorry to hear this:(

I am hoping and praying that you find something very soon:)

mom

16. Donna

Donna Well-Known Member

Concerned,

So sorry to hear the news.

If it's any consolation, you're not alone. Many of us have been down the laid-off road. When it happened to me, it felt like the end of the world. I thought things would never get better but they did. In fact, I ended up getting a much better job.

Don't give up. This could turn out to be a good opportunity for you.

Hang in there.

Donna

17. Newcomer

Newcomer Well-Known Member

Concerned,

Please know that I am praying for you. You might want to try www.computerjobs.com as well. It's a pretty good website. I have been down this road quite a few times in the past couple of years, and I can tell you, it will get better. Don't get down on yourself...that's the important thing. Make sure you stay in contact with your friends and family, because they are usually the first to encourage you. Don't forget to post here when you land your great new job, which I know will be very soon!!!!

18. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

Don't take it too hard- this could be an opportunity in disguise!

19. lbrown59

=====Right - nobody retires rich working for the other guy! The other guy does though B/C you made his money for him!

20. lbrown59

==================
    Here's wishing you the best of luck ! !