just got MBNA platinim plus

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by bfllover, Jul 26, 2001.

1. bfllover

bfllover Well-Known Member

I called after getting an invitation that said instant phone approval and also instant verification of credit line.I thought what the hey--I have not applied since a year ago when I got denied a Nextcard online.The MBNA agent went thru his spiel-saying can I pull your credit file and that if I did not get approval for platinum that I would get preferred card--I said ok does the preferred get miles also--he said yes-Well--surpris--got it(platinum) and for $7000 credit lne--its 1.9% till next Feb then 12.9% no annual fee,,only bad thing is no grace period--they said I could do a balance transfer but at 3 %--so when I talked to the second agent I asked him --Do yo ever do free transfers--he said ok--I will waive it today.I have wanted a card to get miles with so I will pay off Discover and keep this one and my Target Visa.I was surprised,cause I still have 4 derogs from 4 years ago.Anyone have anything bad to say about MBNA mastercard--hope not!!

2. Jugnoo

Jugnoo Well-Known Member

Why wouldn't they give you a platinum if they have approve you for 7K. Call and ask for it. Also, I'm disappointed that MBNA is offering cards without a grace period.

3. steve

steve Well-Known Member

Congrats on getting the card!!! I have no complaints at all about the customer service from MBNA. I think they're great because they promptly responsed to all my requests in writing, gave me several automatic credit limit increases, and never raised my interest rate.

I think there are at least two MBNA Platinum Plus products: one that lets you earn miles with no annual fee, but does not come with a grace period. The other type of card has no annual fee, has a grace period, but you don't earn miles.

4. dave

dave Well-Known Member

Congrats on getting this card. You'll find MBNA has exceptional service but the lack of a grace period is a serioius drawback to this card but if you are going to balance transfer at the 1.9 rate, the grace vs. no grace issue is not important now. After the intro. period expires, you might want to do a product transfer to the plat. plus with a grace but you won't get miles. Better to get a mileage card that has a grace period--such as Citibank Aadvantage and avoid alot of interest while accruing miles.

5. bfllover

bfllover Well-Known Member

I received a citibank advant invite preapproved(lol) a couple months ago but since I had gotten denied by nextcard a couple months before felt they would not approve me.Too bad,they had 10000 miles bonus miles at the time too.I was chicken,when you get denied it feels just like getting an F on a test at school.