Just received a new offer from

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by mimi, Apr 16, 2001.

1. mimi

mimi Guest

Providian...

"Congrats on the responsible way you have handled your account. Because you are a valued customer, we've added another way you access your credit line".

So does this mean if I accept this offer, I'll get nothing else until the next 120 days? I rather receive a credit increase. Amazing what you receive when you "exercise" your credit.

2. mimi

mimi Guest

Oops..sorry

The offer is a blank check I can use up to the amount of my credit limit. Should I???

3. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

Re: Oops..sorry

Not if it is a "CASH ADVANCE" check with a much higher percentage rate plus a cash advance fee.

4. DaveLV

DaveLV Well-Known Member

Re: Just received a new offer

This came with checks, right? I have two Providian accounts. I got three blank checks a couple of months ago for my oldest account with them, and one check pre-printed for $300 for my newer account.

Unless the wolves are at your door, this is a terrible way to get cash. They don't charge the cash advance fee but they do charge your full APR. I'd call them and ask for the increase you want. BTW: I got credit line increases in January and February and still got these checks at the same time, so I don't think it resets the 120 day clock with them.

I put the checks in a drawer in case something terrible happens and I need cash in a hurry. They expire at the end of this month though.

5. mimi

mimi Guest

George...

Well actually there is No cash advance fee for using the check and the APR stays the same.

6. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

Re: George...

ok

7. mimi

mimi Guest

Ok, I'll try calling

the retention dept and see what happens. I guess I'll tell them I rather have an increase than to use this blank check. Be right back....

8. greyfox

greyfox Well-Known Member

Re: George...

One thing I like about Providian is that the cash advance APR is the same as the purchase APR (quite a bit lower than on my NextCard and BOA) and on my accounts I can access the full credit limit for cash advances. I would keep them handy for emergencies if you don't have a big savings account.

9. mimi

mimi Guest

Does anyone have the #

for retention dept?

10. DaveLV

DaveLV Well-Known Member

Re: Does anyone have the #

800 215 7315

11. greyfox

greyfox Well-Known Member

# for retention

is 1-800 215-7318...if a woman answers hang up. (Seriously I got a real nasty woman one time and the men have been very accomodating.)

BTW I was talking to retention last week and asked about lower rates, and he indicated they will be coming out with rates lower than the 16.9. Has anyone gotten the lower rate yet?

12. mimi

mimi Guest

didn't work :eek:(

She told me to call back in 3 months. I even asked for an upgrade to Gold card. She said...hmmm your account is in good standing and you are a valued customer but....wait until 3 months. She was nice.

13. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member

Re: didn't work :eek:(

mimi,
    About two years ago, Fleet Bank sent me a credit line check from the mail and the APR is 15.99% APR. As soon as I deposit the credit lines into my checking account and they will open the lines of credit for me. The credit line is $4500. It is not cash advance check and it is line of credit advance check.

Ron.