Just turned 18, blank credit

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by amdforever, Sep 14, 2003.

1. Slavic

Slavic Well-Known Member

Re: Re: Just turned 18, blank credi

It started showing on your report as soon as you activated it or starting with the next month's statement date when they review the account and report new balances to the CRAs. The opening date and the begining of your credit history is the date the original card was actually open, not when you got the additional card.

2. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

Re: Re: Re: Just turned 18, blank credi

I started out with SEARS, JC PENNEYS, MERVYNS, WARDS, ROBINSONS, BULLOCKS, BROADWAY, MAYCO, BUFFUMS, HINSHAWS, CHEVRON, SHELL, TEXACO, UNION 76...(and some I don't have time to list or forgot)

OF THE ABOVE THE ONLY ONE I STILL HAVE IS SEARS (1979)

I did not have large credit limits...BUT it was a START...

And neither did I "MAX" them all out!!!

At one point I HAD $300,000+ OF CREDIT LIMITS UNTIL F.I.C.O. REARED IT'S UGLY HEAD

It started me on my credit history...THEN I WAS ABLE TO GET REAL---"PRE-APPROVED" VISA/MC CARDS when they started coming out...
    ...AND THEY WERE REALLY "PRE-APPROVED"...AND THEY SAID $2,000...YOU GOT $2,000...IT SAID $4,200...YOU GOT $4,200!!!

3. crowmom

crowmom Well-Known Member

Get your credit reports if you havent yet, and make sure that AU card doesnt have any lates. If its over the limit, it could very well have lates. You might not want to be an AU on this card if that's the case.

No 18 yr old needs a 12,500 limit, whether they use it or not. the temptation just doesnt need to be there, period.

Oh, and DONT GET A SEARS CARD! THEY SUCK.

;)

4. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

I use my SEARS for 10% OFF DAYS...and 0.00% DAYS for 6 months or 1 year!!!

IT DOES NOT SUCK!!!

(EXCEPT) I was denied a credit limit increase (ON-LINE)

5. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

My DRYER is on 0.00% AT SEARS TILL AUGUST 2004!!!!

I WON'T TELL YOU I'M BUYING A REFRIGERATOR AT SEARS...0.00% TILL AUGUST 2004 FREE DELIVERY W/REBATE!!!

AND THE WASHER TO MATCH THE DRYER I BOUGHT A FEW MONTHS AGO...

...AND A STAND ALONE FREEZER TOO...

6. Slavic

Slavic Well-Known Member

Re: Re: Re: Just turned 18, blank c

Yeah, Sears is a good store card to have for the discounts and 0% financing. And the Kenmore stackable front load washer and dryer with moisture sensor that keeps tumbling for a while until you take the stuff out so it doesn't wrinkle are great.

7. Hedwig

Hedwig Well-Known Member

I agree with GEORGE, RichGuy and the others. The card that Slavic is proposing is not a bank card. Such a high limit on a "retail" card with no other history may be the road to continuing declinations.

As someone else suggested, get your credit report.

When I was young (many, many years ago) credit cards weren't prevalent. But I went to the store where I worked and talked to someone in the credit department. They were able to override any automatic decision and give me a card because I was an employee. (This WAS before FICO). They only gave me like $100 limit, but they knew they could get that much from my check if I defaulted.

You might want to see if there's something like the retention department at Target and see if they will manually give you a card. Tell them you're interested in building credit.

Another way to do it, if you don't want to get a secured card, is to talk to your bank. If you have savings, you may be able to get a loan using your savings account as collateral. You won't be able to take money from the account if it would put the balance below what you owe. But as you pay back the loan, they'll report it and it will become a positive tradeline for you.

I would also agree that gas cards, store cards or bank cards with small limits are the place to start. Start small and work your way up. Make sure you make all of your payments on time. As you learn about credit, you'll get more.

Don't be tempted by more than you can handle. Suddenly you've got $12K of credit lines and make a fairly small salary. You'll be locked out of any decent cards for a long time.

8. RichGuy

RichGuy Well-Known Member

9. Slavic

Slavic Well-Known Member

Re: Re: Just turned 18, blank credi

When it's not mandatory and is fully refundable.

Look, if you had taken the time and effort to actually read my posts with comprehension you would know that the $20 fee is for additional services bundled with the card and sold separately, is not mandatory and is fully refundable if canceled within 30 days.

The incentive to take on the fully refundable $20 charge, at least for the trial period, is a $5,000 line increase which you get to KEEP even if you cancel the service within the 30 day trial period.

Now I'm getting a bit itchy and let me tell you I do not intend to sit here and waste my time replying to your petty one liner remarks, rooted in your seemingly deliberate ignorance of what I said and the desire to derail me regardless of the facts, feeding you line by line the quotes of what I said just a few posts earlier so that you can comprehend them.

Is my immigrant English that difficult for you to understand? If so, I apologize for my inferior communication skills and a harsh response.

Quoting self, hopefully for the last time. This is an uncastrated quote of what he quoted above:

10. Slavic

Slavic Well-Known Member

Another quote of self from a previous post, just in case you missed the refundable part or something. I'll leave it at this, and hopefully it will sink in.

11. RichGuy

Slavic,

Actually, "immigrant English" may constitute unintended accuracy on your part. Try putting a few clear, direct, consistent words in your own mouth.

You mentioned cancelling the services, not the monthly fee. And anyone familiar with the subprime market, to which the original poster could be consigned for years were he to adopt your reckless suggestion, knows how difficult it is to cancel any supposedly "optional" fee.

You correctly warned the original poster about the "guaranteed" Visa. That showed us that you knew deceptive marketing was involved. You should have warned about the "guaranteed" catalog offer as well.

I predicted, based on my knowledge of this type of offer, that there would be a down payment. Somehow, you never thought to mention it yourself. Then you claimed it was actually advantageous. It could be, if it reduced the amount of debt incurred on a normally priced purchase. But since this is a non-competitive market closed to normal forms of credit, the down payment simply inflates the profit margin or compensates for delinquent payments.

Advising an 18-year-old to pay an $80 fee to obtain credit on the grounds that the $80 is "refundable" once said person pays a much larger down payment is deceptive. There is no refund, simply a slightly less outrageous down payment.

And then you claim that receiving a large credit line teaches self-discipline, when actually it is the high down payment that precludes most purchases. Not much self-discipline there.

Incidentally, if I had said the $12,500 credit line would get maxed out, you might have had a point about "putting words in your mouth." However, you were the one who brought it up, and then you were the one who claimed that we advocate maxing out genuine retail cards. That, more than anything, proves that you're reckless not only with financial advice but with projected accusations.

You tried, for whatever reasons, to defend an indefensible scam. That places your honesty in question, not mine.

12. RichGuy

"usacreditsuperstore.com"

I logged onto their site, or at least their new site. Prices are available only to members. You can't decide if it's a good deal until after you join by paying the fee.

That's a sure sign of a scam. This has gone way beyond instinct to absolute certainty.

13. gretchen

gretchen Well-Known Member

Slavic,

Well, I am not 18!

I appreciate your posts. Although, you sound like their salesman then an actual user, holder of the card.

You are also the first person to have said good things about a catalog card on CN that at least I am aware of. Actually last I checked they had a section devoted to beware of these types of rip-off cards.

So,,, do you have this USA card that you speak of? Are you going to sign up? If not, I personally do not go for others promoting or downing something they personally have had no direct experience with unless they factor in the "I do not know." in their posts.

Interesting outlook you have on how to use the card to the best advantage. I'll look into it. Maybe ask the FWs what they think of such a good deal. I bet they know! Gosh knows, they try everything!

Thanks! :)

14. gretchen

RichGuy,

You did better then I did.

After reading everything available on the usashoppingclub link Slavic provided, I could not find where to register, join or sign up. hmm...

Slavic certainly did not get his info from the site.
    Maybe there is another one for registration?

*Up to SIX WEEKS for a purchased product to arrive at our home. *Yikes* That would rule out any spontanious spending sprees for me!

Right, the shipping and handling one can only wonder as well as the prices.

Thirty days to return a product? Not bad. Wonder if we get to keep the reported paid activity inspite of returning it for a full refund later?

15. gretchen

edit: I found everything Slavic was saying and more under the Terms and Conditions, over at the Usa Platinum card site.

16. gretchen

*They charge 150 to enroll. No mention of that being refunded from a purchase price in the Terms.

**All American Gold has the exact same testimonies, same enrollment price for less credit line.

*** No where does it mention a 5000 dollar credit increase. But USA Gold enrollment is the same for less credit line same exact testimonies.

**** If they report, since they are not required, they report to Innovis and Transunion only.

Not such a good deal even if the testimonials on their site say they "Love the prices!" Heh.

17. Slavic

Slavic Well-Known Member

It was intended and a genuine question and so was the apology. I'm quite aware I use long run on sentences, but didn't think it was that difficult to understand for anyone who bothered to make an effort, hence the sarcastic tone.
    I don't know which part of refundable you didn't understand, but that's what the fee is. I even reposted and pointed it out to you in my last post just in case you missed it, but... The fee is refundable. The service is cancelable. You cancel the service within the trial period and have the fee refunded to you as a result. Saying "cancel a fee" sounds awkward to me. Refund is a much more accurate description, but then again I'm not a native speaker.

I checked my bank statement just to make sure again and the fee was refunded promptly, but I did have to contact privista and cancel through them as well and they refunded promptly as well, though I believe that may have something to do with the way I signed up with them. So yeah, be warned. Make sure privista doesn't double charge you. Sorry I failed to post a warning.
    I hold the card. USA Platinum.
    As I said I'm not exactly sure about the exact value of the initial fee, but I am sure that it is fully refundable in the form of a voucher (which I received) or I wouldn't have bothered to sign up. I didn't redeem it yet nor taken a close look at the prices.

From their FAQ"
    How do I redeem my Membership Fee Refund Voucher?

When you begin making purchases at the USA Credit Online Superstore, and receive a billing statement, you may send your Membership Fee Refund Voucher to be applied toward your balance. Your Membership Fee Refund Voucher cannot be used as your down payment."

No, there's no mention of the line increase. It's a an incentive they use in their sales pitch when they up sell the additional services while you're on the phone. You get to keep the line increase even if you cancel the additional services.

I believe reporting to TU only is true. My bad for not remembering that and bringing it up as it is quite relevant.

18. Slavic

Slavic Well-Known Member

I may be wrong on the TU only reporting after all:
    "Those who become active members of the credit card will be glad to know that transactions will be reported to all three credit bureaus as an unsecured credit card."

From here:http://www.cardoffers.com/reviews/cards/details/card.asp?id=651
    http://www.cardoffers.com/reviews/cards/details/card.asp?id=405

By the way I strongly recommend that site for card shopping. It has an extensive selection of, among others, 0% intro cards. And just as big a selection of reviews.

19. gretchen

Slavic,

Cool.

I picked up the Innovis and Transunion data from the BuyRight shopping card Terms/Conditons. Very similar T/Cs.

Yes, reporting to all three does make a difference. The only complaints appear from users of the card that did not read that they were going to be charged 150.

That and not being able to log on to the catalog site.

Well, what are you waiting around for? BUY something! HA ha :-D and do tell us more!

Or, be a hero, and simply find out how much that JVC camcorder is going for including S/H. ;-)

I do not expect it to be low as I can find on PriceGrabber but is USA prices triple? double? or what?

20. Slavic

Slavic Well-Known Member

It does suck that you can't see the prices if you're not a member. If anyone is interested I am willing to find my log in info and look up the price if you list a few specific products you are interested in.

Don't get your hopes up about the reporting thing though. I was told by the CS they report to TU a while ago. Since that quote is from an August review, that might mean they changed their policy and it just might be wrong. I'm not currently monitoring my reports and don't plan to for another 2-4 weeks so I can't tell you my experience until then.