Just turned 18, need some cred

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Adrian, May 13, 2000.

1. Adrian

Adrian Guest

I turned 18 yesterday and I could really use some advice on getting a credit card. I'm going to primarily use it to purchase musical equipment. I'm probably gonna need at least a 400 dollar limit to start. Any ssuggestions? Feel free to email me.

2. creditwork

creditwork Well-Known Member

RE: Just turned 18, need some

Happy Birthday. Try the AT&T Universal card for students. Please be careful with your credit. Unless you are planning on making some money with your instruments, you should buy it with cash.

http://www.creditsense.com

3. malcolm

malcolm Guest

before you start even thinking about credit cards, please read some of the posts on this board. you can learn a lot of how to avoid building bad credit and screwing yourself for a long time; but it won't help if you don't read them. be responsible, and remember that it's real money you have to pay back. many of us often forget that.

4. Doris K.

Doris K. Well-Known Member

Definately do your homework and make sure you know what you're getting into. Establishing credit can be difficult, confusing, and frustrating.

I was in your shoes when I was 63 years old, and it was hard enough, so I can imagine what it will be like for an eighteen-year-old. Pay attention to the value of continually maintaining good credit, and keep in mind that one tiny, little screw-up will mess you up for a long time.

It ain't free money, so you'd better have a stable J-O-B and some money in the bank. If you can't afford something when you drag it up to the counter, don't even think about swiping a credit card.

There are more student credit cards out there than one can say grace over, but you'll have to understand that it's damned hard for a full-time college student to hold a full-time job and to be in debt. I'd suggest that you look at getting secured card until you get your education or career in order. That way, you'll have the cash on hand to cover most of the debt in case your plans do't go exactly as you expect. At your age, you should expect the unexpected every hour of the day.

Good luck, sweetie!

5. Brooke McG

Brooke McG Guest

I need a credit card with a 2500 limit within the next three monthes. No one will approve me cause i have no credit! i have an apartment of my own, three jobs, and no debts what so ever, help! The phone bill at my apartment is in my sisters name, not mine, so i cant even get credit for that! Who do i get a hold of? who will approve me? please help! this is needed so severly!

6. creditwork

creditwork Well-Known Member

Sorry. I doubt anyone will approve you. Credit is not something you build overnight. It takes patience and discipline. You must start out slowly and exercise your credit to make it grow.

http://www.creditsense.com