KABOOM - arf arf! AMEX v Providian

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by dogman, Sep 15, 2001.

1. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

I went into Max's Diner to pick up a burger and fries and some dessert to go.

A lady next to me had about a $50 order - then -
    GASP - she paid the bill with the same old Providian Dog Card - I cut up. The crappy shiny one that looks like a platinum with some silver figure in the middle of the card - with the WHITE big print VISA
    on the top. It had to be the 24% card.

THEN - unbelieveably - she was DECLINED!
    She was embarrassed and said it was her
    mother's card! She said she would be back!

MEANWHILE, I pulled out the AMEX and gave it to the waitress. Then she said, "These cards are always good." But you gotta be rich to carry one!

I laughed to myself - knowing I had taken control over Providian when I cut it up months ago!

The Providian huctress returned with CASH!
    She saw the lady hand me back my AMEX to me.

I signed, and thought, "Bitch, they probably gave you a $99 limit!" LOL!

arfingly watchful - dogman

later dogman

2. matty61184

matty61184 Well-Known Member

I would say for the most part, Providian is crappy, with the exception of my mother's place. She has a true Visa Platinum, and it is really a very pretty card. No annual fees, or any of that garbage. Because of her credit, they gave her a 6.49% interest rate, and a $15,000 limit. That would be about the only case of have a "prime" card from them that I've heard of in a LONG time.

3. molly

molly Well-Known Member

So what was the point of the post? Maybe I am missing something. She is a "bitch" because she may only be able to get a Proidian card with a $99 limit? I know several people who screwed up their credit and are thrilled that Providian will give them a chance. My friend got a Providian card with a $500 limit and she was so happy. I have never had a Providian card and don't think highly of them but I was happy for her. Like I said maybe I misunderstood you.

4. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

Dogman,

I am surprised and confused at your thread. Like Molly, I don't have any idae what point that you are trying to make.

Bad credit is usually due to bad luck. What are you trying to say here??

Jim

5. Imhosed

Imhosed Well-Known Member

Dogman,

I don't get it! What was that all about? Do you know why she only had $99 credit limit as you alluded to? That is not funny dogman. I am glad your credit is perfect, enjoy your amex. Let me go call providian to find out if I can be fortunate enough to get $98 credit limit card.

6. PsychDoc

PsychDoc Well-Known Member

Re: KABOOM - arf arf! AMEX v Provid

I'm ok with Dogman being proud and boasting about his improved credit -- that can be an inspiration to all of us. On the other hand, I'm totally against calling this particular woman a "bitch," or terming women in general as "bitches." In this particular case, the woman's only crime was having a Providian card that was turned down, so this seems especially undeserved. Perhaps if she had turned to Dogman and said something nasty to him or to the clerk, I'd be able to make some sense of this hateful comment, but I find myself groping for an explanation instead.

Doc

7. keltexx

keltexx Well-Known Member

Ditto Molly, Ditto Jim.

"Bitch" is inappropriate. Get over yourself, and be more respectful of the people on this board.

8. leo728

leo728 Well-Known Member

I think dogman was just trying to loosen things up a little. After what happened here in ny we all are bound to be more wound up.

It is o.k. to feel proud of ones achievements, I myself am very proud of my citicard, but this is just a case of poorly used words at the wrong time.

Lets all give Dogman a break, shall we?

9. PsychDoc

Well, Leo, I think everyone forgives Dogman, but let's give those who called him on the epithet "bitch" a break too. If he had used the "N"-word because the person had been Black, would we simply say that he was trying to loosen things up? What if the person whose Providian card was refused had been of Italian descent and he had said something like, "They didn't even accept the wop's card." I think it's perfectly fine to confront this stuff when it begins, and I agree that it's also a good thing to forgive and forget as well.

Doc

10. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

Sorry ALL - for the confusion!

I used the "bitch" term because the lady who got bounced was "bitchy" to the Max's waitress when she said it was her mother's card.

I am very sorry all. I reread the post and didn't make that clear.

AND, I particularly apologize to those that said I have good credit. I do have the AMEX, but no - you do not want my credit rating for another 25 months!

If you all will pull my name on prior posts, you will see I am the least judgemental person on this planet. But, when I reread the post, if you did not know me - I did not sound too nice.

Not my intent - thanks for your feedback - please understand that.

many thanks - Dogman

11. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

Re: Sorry ALL - for the confusion!

Woof!

12. Mirage

Mirage Well-Known Member

I am one of those who has a Providian and a Cap 1 cc. It's tough as I am 5 years into my bk-13. So getting credit is tough. I am not ashame of using my Cap 1 or Providian for purchases as it's been a tough climb.

In all fairness Providian has provide my with two cc (Gold and a MC).

I was turned down for all Nextcard products and the secured Amex Optima.

Best regards,
    Sam

13. Hope

Hope Well-Known Member

I knew there just had to be an explanation.

14. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

USING HER MOTHER'S CARD?
    IS IT A "JOINT ACCOUNT" ?...IF NOT SHE SHOULDN'T USE IT!!!
    SHE DIDN'T HAVE A "BACK UP CARD" ?
    SHE HAD TO GO GET THE CASH?
    I GUESS SHE HAS SUCH POOR CREDIT HERSELF, SHE HAS TO BORROW A CARD FROM HER MOTHER...

15. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

Hey Dogman!!

Now that you took a moment to clarify this thread - Just consider the matter inconsequential and closed.

I for one am certainly not angered at you.

Also, on Saturday evening, I always go out to dinner, have a couple of drinks and then "check my credit" before I go to bed. - LOL - Perhaps you did the same when you returned from the diner???

Therefore, your story was not told quite the way you intended.

Best regards - Jim

16. matty61184

I find dogman's story quite funny. I would have laughed too. But I would have used my Chase Platinum instead of Amex. Both good cards.

17. PsychDoc

Matty, is there some advantage to using the Chase card instead of the AmEx at Max's Diner? Do tell.

18. matty61184

Lol, I've never been to that diner. I just said I'd use the Chase Plat. because I don't have an Amex. I haven't ever applied to them, but I've heard they don't issue cards in Iowa.

19. PsychDoc

Wow, how interesting -- I didn't realize that American Express didn't issue cards to people who live in Iowa!

20. matty61184

Yeah, well, I tried to apply for the Blue card, and I got a note they don't issue cards to those in Iowa, AND they checked my equifax report 3 days in a row!!! I've been trying to dispute with no luck!!! ARGH!