Kay Jewelers Approved W/540 Fico

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by hunzi1, Dec 1, 2003.

1. SCMomof5

SCMomof5 Well-Known Member

Re: Re: Re: Kay Jeweler

My TU shows:

BK13 filed 1/1998 dischg 1/2000
    Chase Manhattan Mtg 139K open 3/2003 PAA
    Target Visa open 6/2002 PAA $700 bal $685
    Houshold MC open 7/2002 PAA $350 bal $345

6 inquiries.

Anytime I disputed anything with TU it was deleted! Can't figure out how I am luckier than the rest. However, they did delete a couple of good TLs and I could never get them to put those back!!!

My BK is gone in a year so after that there will be NO derrogs on TU! :p

2. davidpyle

davidpyle Active Member

applied for Kay in the store...was approved for 7500 limit....only a 680 on TU...they have no interest for 12 months with 20 % down and minimum monthly payments....BTW in case anyone doesnt know huge markup in jewlery you can negotiate on EVERYTHING!

3. sam

sam Well-Known Member

thats because their fine jewelry is crap.

go over to diamondtalk.com if you want to learn about how crappy it is. Of course they are gonna give you a discount, cause the margin on the low quality fine jewlery is so freaking high.

Their 1ct diamonds are probably worth about 1/3 they sell them at.

Ask them for the GIA/ICU2/BSCOPE/SARIN reports on their diamonds, and see what they go to say. If they can't produce 3 out of the 4 on any diamond of any $$$ then run, don't walk.

4. trent1059

trent1059 Well-Known Member

Re: Kay Jewelers Approved W/540 Fic

what about the Leo schitner diamonds, cert is on the box, diamondtalk says Leo is one of the best.

5. davidpyle

davidpyle Active Member

I bought the three stone leo pendant for my wife it was 1200 bucks...i am no jewler, but you know when I look at it it shines i look at it through a loop and there arent inclusions everywhere....so I am happy with it and so is she...it may not be the best but I am no millionaire either..

6. miamijc

miamijc Member

Got an approval email this weekend. They checked TU, my fico there is about 635, 2 negs, one of which is a charge off. For those of you that got the acceptance email, how did you find out your limit? Did you call?

Also, If you purchase something, return it for a refund a month later, will that show up on your CR for high limit anyways?

7. trent1059

I bought the three stone Leo ring, I kt total, looks good to me and wife is very happy, Its the buyer that needs to be happy not someone else saying he could have got you a better deal or product.

Why do people always have to find fault, as the song says "don't worry, be happy" and if you want to pay my bills I will listen to you criticise my purchases

8. sam

sam Well-Known Member

everyone has their own standings on value. When you got a piece of jewelry appraised for insurable "REPLACEMENT" value, you'll know whether you got a good buy or not.

Kinda like buying a used car over the nada book. If its lost (stolen) or wrecked, the insurance will pay for the replacement cost, not what you paid for it.

In jewelry its slightly different. Most places like JM will replace the item with a comparable item using their own sources.

1CT RB's like 8* can reach up near $10K (stone only) and i know 1CT brilliant princess can easily go for 6K, so you really do your homework on buying. With the wholesalers online making 3-4% over cost, you can find a super deal, and avoid state taxes by shipping from the state next door ;)

anyhoo. Buy what you want, you can search zales on diamondtalk.com and read all about their Fine jewelry.

9. thickman66

thickman66 Well-Known Member

To ALL,

Remember...we are here to talk about improving and acquiring credit,we are not gem experts. Buy what you want or not. Let's stay focused.

10. Hedwig

Hedwig Well-Known Member

Good point. I bought a beautiful ring at a pawn shop. Someone asked me if it was real. I said "I don't know and I don't care. I liked it, liked the price, and was willing to buy it." That's all that matters.

11. miamijc

miamijc Member

Can someone who was approved please answer my question - if you received approval by email, how did you figure out your limit.

Also - if I purchase something to be near the limit, and return it say 45 days later, will that solve the problem of them not reporting the credit limit on the CRA? I am hoping for a boost in my utilization numbers, and will probably only purchase something small (for keeps I mean) so that they won't close out the account for inactivity.

Thanks.

12. trent1059

I got the e-mail, called and asked what my limit was.
    As for buying and returning I do not agree with that at all, sales people by and large work on commission and if you buy they get paid on that sale, you take it back in 45 days and then the commission gets taken out of their paycheck, Imagine if that happened to you on a week when sales were down and got no checkjust so someone could raise their credit score...not nice and just wrong in my opinion, Working around credit scores are one thing but messing with someones living just not something to mess with.

13. miamijc

miamijc Member

Thanks for your response Trent. I hadn't thought about the fact that they work on commission.

BTW, I didn't ask if you agreed with it or not.

14. AtlantaGA

AtlantaGA Well-Known Member

I haven't heard anything from them. Anyone have the phone number I can call to check status?

15. SCMomof5

SCMomof5 Well-Known Member

The phone number is in this post. Page one I think. I also called to find out my limit.

BTW, they have more than just diamonds. I went there and bought jewelry for my kids for Christmas. I didn't buy anything expensive, just what I thought they would like AND was age/sex appropriate.

Also, you should have seen the look on the salesman's face when I told him that I was buying for 5 kids! LOL I took the 90 day same as cash/0 interest deal! :) I have learned to avoid paying interest!!!!

16. Peri

Peri Active Member

turned down with one charge off and one old public record (500 judgment)

They pulled TU - FICO 605

17. miamijc

miamijc Member

Just called - limit of $4,000! What are they smoking over there??!! My best guess is that, when determining your limit, they rely heavily on your income, as that is my main positive.

18. broncsboi

broncsboi Well-Known Member

I PFB'd them after a decline and received an email from them saying they would re-review my app but needed my SSN since I didn't include that in my PFB letter.

I wrote back giving them it and told them I hope they are using it to find me and NOT to run another credit check.

I'll let you know.

19. GRTDLS

GRTDLS Well-Known Member

Re: Re: Kay Jewelers Approved W/540 Fic

How recent was the chargeoff?

20. Peri

Peri Active Member

Re: Re: Kay Jewelers Approved W/540 Fic