Kinda embarrassing....

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by breeze, Nov 19, 2001.

1. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

I used my AmEx green in the grocery store tonight. It was a $49.00 purchase in a store where I shop all the time. It wouldn't authorize the card, said I had to call an 800 # for approval. I called, entered the info, it gave an approval #, had to run the card through again. This, with a line growing behind me, and everyone watching.

I was furious. When I got to the car, I called and asked what was going on. The CSR said nothing was wrong. I asked why they did that, - he couldn't say.

Perfectly ordinary month, perfectly ordinary purchase.

WTF???????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am still furious.

2. DaveLV

DaveLV Well-Known Member

The store's credit authorization system could have been down.

3. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

It authorized it after she put the little six digit approval number in. Nobody else had a problem. I think it was AmEx.

4. DaveLV

DaveLV Well-Known Member

It's possible. Usually the process of entering an approval number into a register is a manual thing and the register will just accept any number you type in. (A factoid of the 10 years I spent in retail.)

5. rubyjean

rubyjean Well-Known Member

Sometimes the Magnetic Strip on the back of your credit card gets worn from use and can not be read by the Auth machines.. It may be time for a new card..

6. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

This is a new store with new terminals. It is a "swipe" terminal where the customer just swipes the card and it waits for the cashier to total the purchase. Not a case of manual entry.

After the cashier entered the 6 digit number I got by calling the "approval" number, I had to swipe my card again for the transaction to go through. So the strip is okay.

It was wierd. I guess you had to be there.

7. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

I have had "security" calls before, but they call my home, tell me of a transaction - store and amount, and ask me to call if I did not make that transaction. I never had my card refused and then had to call an 800 number right in the store.

I don't mind security, I don't mind having my ID and signature checked - I appreciate it. But this was something else!! It wasn't a person, it was a computer with a menu, press 1, press 2. enter the card number. Enter the amount of transaction, blah blah ...."here is your approval number..." then it gave a 6 digit number the cashier had to key into the terminal manually (not the cash register). Then I had to swipe my card again.

Picture me on my cell phone doing this in the checkout line at the grocery store, the ice cream is melting, the people are staring....

8. Hope

Hope Well-Known Member

Son of a...! I feel your pain, Breeze!

9. jonesing

jonesing Well-Known Member

It's for that very reason that my last company ditched Amex in favor of Visa T&E cards. They left the company president (Fortune 100 company) high and dry when they declined his coporate Amex card for his hotel in Brussels and could not explain why!

10. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

I typed the approval # wrong...because I only got 5 numbers because somebody sent a fax on my line and cut off my call...IT STILL WORKED...

11. Saar

Saar Banned

Amex charge cards have no official credit limit. They do, however, have a hidden figure called "exposure limit". Call Amex to find out what your exposure limit is, and if it's too low, insist that they put in a request to raise it.

Saar

12. EdG

EdG Well-Known Member

Breeze, The same thing happened to me several weeks ago with my Target card. Very long line, I was only charging $50, the cashier had to call for approval on my purchase. It took a little over five minutes but was very embarassing.

13. Dani

Dani Well-Known Member

Breeze, if it makes you feel better the same thing happened to me last week with Amex when I went to purchase my kitchen appliances. Sears rang out each item separately, something about the division # or model # being different so they had to be rung up separately. Well, they had already rang up the washer and dryer and range, and guess what refrigerator wouldn't go through. So the cashier has to call Amex get an approval code, blah, blah, blah. I felt like an idiot. The problem was so many large priced transactions were occurring within minutes of each other that it set off alarm bells at Amex. They thought someone had stolen my card. Of course, all thieves once they receive your credit card, run to the nearest Sears and buy $3000 per of appliances.

Dani

14. Kittw1

Kittw1 Well-Known Member

Since I work in one of their divisions, take note....send a letter and complain about the embarassment and you just may get a Christmas surprise. Use PFB so it can go to our NYC office. Peons in FL don't know a thing.

15. MartysGirl

MartysGirl Well-Known Member

Breeze
    This has happened to my mom SEVERAL different times!!! I was with her at the Grocery Store and this happened over a $40 purchase. It happened once again @ the mall in Abercrombie and Fitch for a $250 purchase!!! She was soooo upset b/c they had to call in EACH time!!!! My mother keeps the number on hand for Telecheck who whoever they use b/c it has become such a ritual!! She told me yesterday that she holds her breath hoping that it goes through w/out any problems... She too feels It's sooo embarrassing and it happens way to many times....!!!

I still don't know why this happens. On average she would spend anywhere from 5,000-10,000 a month for personal and works expenses then pays in full. Unfortunately... my mother was diagnosed with cancer and hasn't been able to work. So know she only puts about 1,000-3,000 on it a month! You would think this wouldn't happen b/c she is spending less but it's has only got worse!!!!!!

16. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

Saar, it's not the limit, I'm sure. Last month I spent $807, this month, so far it's a tad under $400. Last month is paid and has cleared the bank. Gotta be something else.

17. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

Thanks Kitt, will do. Perhaps I will feel better if they do something nice for me. I have always felt good about using my AmEx card - they have offered me other cards, but this one has suited me just fine. Now I am scared to use it. If it happened over and over, like one of the posts mentioned, I really would stop using it.

Do you have any idea what triggers this? It seems kind of insane. I have used it in 3 or 4 stores in a row, on the same day, never a problem, in the grocery store, of all places.

18. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

Sheesh! I just don't think I would put up with all of this. Sorry about your Mom's illness. I am caretaker for my Mom, she is a cancer survivor also. She went through chemo and radation - she beat it, but she is not the same now. :(

19. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

Dani, yeah, I feel better that I am not alone, LOL. Apparently this happens to a lot of people.

Ed, yeah the embarrassment is the thing. You know what people are thinking.....

Wow, jonesing, that would be a bitch.

Well, off to PFB to get my Christmas present, hehe.

20. Hope

Hope Well-Known Member

Special love going out to Breeze and Martysgirl tonight!

Group hug! Group hug!