Kmart Card?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by kustomkat, Oct 10, 2001.

1. kustomkat

kustomkat Well-Known Member

Does anyone Know if the Kmart Capitol One Card is easier than the Regular one to get?
    I am trying to get rid of my First Premier, and Providian Cards..
    I have been turned down by Cap one before when I was at around 640..
    I would like to move up into some more prime than sub prime cards..(Im still sub but I would rather be sub with capitol one than First Premier..)
    Since I just bought a house Im wonder how much my scores will raise... does anyone know how much a mortgage will raise credit scores??

Kev

2. lucy

lucy Well-Known Member

I have the Capital One Kmart card. My limit started at $50.00, I paid 3 consecutive payments on time, they increased my limit to $200.00 and lowered my interest rate from 19.8% to 17.8%. My FICO score is around 520. When I pay 2 more payments on time, my limit will be increased to $500.00.

I was also approved for another Capital One card for a $49.00 security deposit with a $500.00 limit just this month. I like Capital One, their customer service is good and paying online is very convenient and free...

3. dlo64

dlo64 Well-Known Member

I have the K-Mart Gold MC through Cap 1. Limit is low, but figure I can get it raised with usage and good payments. Mine, however was a pre-approved solicited offer.

I agree Cap 1 seems to be good. I am just starting out with them. My husband had an old account with them from 96 - 99 (the green Visa). He closed it out in good standing. Got the Gold MC in June and has already had a $500 increase on the card.

4. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

Take the other offer from Cap One also!
    Cap One - more than any other creditor - got me an AMEX card after 36 months after a chap 13.

I recommend them - you seem pleased.
    AND THEY UPGRADE from subprime to prime!
    later - dogman

5. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

remember the kmart card, unlike all their other cards, cannnot ever combine with another card.

So if you want to use multiple Cap1 cards to work towards Platinum a kmart won't do it.

If I were you, I'd apply for a normal card and if denied, use the PFB route to get a manual review.

Even their dog starter cards can be worked with, fees can be rebated every other month or so, retention will increase limits and the Exec office is invaluable.

I agree with you, Cap1 is far beyond other subprimes in that you can truly get a PRIME card after a year or 2 with them and still keep the aged tradeline. I just can't say enough good things about Cap1.

6. kustomkat

kustomkat Well-Known Member

I applied for the regular cap 1 card it said further review was needed....
    Hopefully I will get it... cross my fingers...
    whats the number to call for manual review if i get denied??...

7. OtherTerri

OtherTerri Well-Known Member

Lucy,

Was your increase after 3 months automatic, or did you call and ask for it? We got our Kmart card in July, $200 limit. I would like to get an increase, but not sure of the best way to go about it.

Thanks!

8. lucy

lucy Well-Known Member

Terri,

My increase was automatic. I didn't ask for it. It was a pre-approved offer I got in the mail for the $50.00 credit line, like I said I paid 3 payments, they raised the line to $200.00 and lowered the interest rate 2%.

I am now awaiting my $500 Capital One Visa card in the mail! :) I should have it any day now, I called in on October 1st and gave them the $49.00 deposit.

The Kmart MC will turn into a Gold card within 2 months with a $500.00 limit also.

I am trying to get rid of First Premier and Cross Country. I have a First Premier and the 2 Cap 1's and my husband has First Premier and Cross Country. My goal is to get rid of the Frist Premier and Cross Country and have only Cap 1.

---Lucy

9. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

interesting info about the Kmart card. Didn't know that - probably has something to do contractually between Kmart and Cap One.

hope you are fine - dogman

10. OtherTerri

I did not know these things either. How did you find out? I had been thinking of calling and asking about applying for a Visa with them anyway.

11. KHM

KHM Well-Known Member

Is it easier to get a Visa than it is to get a Filenes or Sears card? My score is about 600 but I can't get a capital one, I had one and it went to charge off (its now paid).
    Kellie

12. OtherTerri

Lucy,

We called Cap One today and they said no cl increases until 6 months.

I sent a letter off to PFB. I know others have also said they got increases in 3 months. Don't understand...

13. matty61184

matty61184 Well-Known Member

Terri, when did you open your account? I think they do have a 6 month period. Even after the 6 months, they wouldn't raise my limit, and I paid my balance in full each month. I finally wrote thru PFB and called retention threatening to cancel. The rep asked what I'd like for an interest rate and credit line. I said the best of both. She gotme a $1,000 line and 12.9% rate, not too shabby. PFB works wonders!