Laptop ...Finance Dell Gateway???

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by BlueVegas, Jun 1, 2001.

1. BlueVegas

BlueVegas Active Member

OK, so it has come up before.

I want a laptop for school. Dell or a Gateway.
    Looking to spend around$1300 on it. I would like to Finance a $1000 of it.

With a 659 FICO and Rising or 642 E-Loan and Rising

Do you think I will get approved? No car Payment and I take home about $3,000 a month. Two Providian Cards equal $225 for payments and a measily $10 CapONe. I have around about $2000 in available credit on my cards.

Do I have a chance? I got turned down for some a couple of CCs back in March. That was with several collections, delq, and chargeoffs. Almost all are gone now...Thanks to JUNUM.

Any suggestions on financing $1500 Laptop???

StudyTime NVegas

2. tom65432

tom65432 Well-Known Member

I have purchased a couple computers from Compusa on their no interest for 12 months plan. Their prices are good when you get the right sale, but you will not get a Dell or Gateway. I also got one from Circuit City this way.

3. marci

marci Well-Known Member

Another option may be to apply for a Sears card (whose credit requirements may be easier depending on what's going on), and then get financed for a 0% APR/12 month deal.

I think that asking for financing directly from the computer vendor with less than *stellar* credit leaves you open to abuse by their issuer re tiered financing.

Sears sells Compaq and Apples. And they have great Sears warranties.

4. CardKid

CardKid Well-Known Member

You can apply and receive instant approval for a Gateway credit card or credit line at the gateway.com site. Then, you can use the credit instantly to purchase a PC with no payment for 90 days.

Just an option....

5. BlueVegas

BlueVegas Active Member

Do you think my credit is good enough? Score good enough? I know I can apply, I just don't want to get denied.

I'm like those nice SONY VIAO notebooks. I also noticed on HSN (Home Shopping Network). You can pay or 5 or 6 payments. Notebooks are $1600 - $2000. I'll research more before I go drop the dollars. Forget EBay... Might as well get a warranty if ya gonna drop a grand.

CoolingNVegas

6. tom65432

tom65432 Well-Known Member

Before you shop HSN check the prices and specifications. I always found them to be way overpriced. They do a good job of hype. Will sell you a 286 loaded with 2 meg of ram, 10 meg hard drive, and 5 1/2 floppy disk for under a $1000 and convince you that they are selling state of the art.

7. cbearcat6

cbearcat6 Member

I bought my laptop on ubid for 700. It is a Hewlett Packard with dvd,and I love it. It came with a 90 day warranty and I have'nt had any problems with it at all. The same computer sells for 1500. at comp usa here. the address is ubid.com

8. john

john Well-Known Member

Buy the computer from Dell. It is worth finding out if you qualify because when you buy a laptop the warranty is really, really important. If you do qualify check out their refurbished units. The always have great prices and you need not worry about it being refurbished as it comes with a warranty.

And if you buy a laptop invest in the 3 year warranty. If anything breaks laptops are very expensive to fix.

I bought an Inspiron 8000 15"UXGA 20GD, 192MB with DVD for about $1800.00. I saved about 700 bucks buying it refurbished and it came with a three year warranty and free shipping.

Buying laptops at Circuit City and Comp USA is certainly an option, but the return policies and product support will be very poor. I was in Circuit City when some guy dropped his laptop off for service. He was told it would be 2-3 weeks before they even knew what was wrong. They ship it to the manufacturer. To say the least he was really upset.

I only buy my computers from Dell. I have had my old laptop serviced before and they come to your house the next business day and fix it on the spot. There is a reason they are #1. It is because the make a quality product and they back it up with even better service.

9. fingrrrl

fingrrrl Well-Known Member

Financing directly at the Gateway site is a good idea but if you have a low FICO score, like 600-range, the best you can get is 27.99%. My score was 640 and that was the best they could offer me. Sears I think would be the best bet...although one should be wary. At least on their website (I'm not sure about actually in their stores), they sell the CPU and monitor separately. It's a bit too hazy to be called an outright deal.

10. BlueVegas

BlueVegas Active Member

Shott down!!!!!!

I did the online application on Dell and was shot down. Unable to extend credit at this time. I guess I will have to wait in the mail.

I have a 650+ FICO and 640ish ELoan score. I also have a Judgement from 98 that is PAID.

Maybe they will hook me up in the mail. Is there an automatic denial online with a judgement???

It seems that way to me.

Damn I need a laptop for school even though I have 2 PC at home working...Dual P3 500MHZ 512MB and Pentium 233MHZ 128MB. I would like to be able to take PC to Class and work. Blahhhh!!!!

Last resort I'll pay cash for one in July. I guess I can wait... :-(

11. BlueVegas

BlueVegas Active Member

Gateway Just approved me for $1700 dolars at 27.99% Blahhh

I'm gonna do the 90 Same as Cash. I'll Drop $400 a month til paid off. So I'll only get burned for one month. Hope this works.

I used to work for them. This was last resort buying a PC from them. I prefer DELL. Ohh well.

WindyNVegas

12. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

------------------------------------------------
    So I'll only get burned for one month.
    --------------------------------------------

Read the fine print...you may be BACK DATED till the purchase date if not paid in full...

When I bought my first computer, I got 6 months no interest...if not paid in full, back dated interest.

I got charged interest for 6 months, even though I mailed the "PAYMENT IN FULL" check with more than enough time.

They thought they had to wait till my payment cleared my bank and was mailed to me in the statement, before the could credit the account for the payment!!!!!

They said it was a computer error...they credited the interest, the next week I got a letter that my account was SOLD to another company (I GUESS I SHOULD HAVE LET THEM CHARGE ME INTEREST)...NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    TOO BAD...SO SAD