Lawsuit against ca settled!

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by OtherTerri, Nov 20, 2001.

1. OtherTerri

OtherTerri Well-Known Member

I just wanted to post that I got a call today from my attorney. He settled a lawsuit against a collection agency.

A rep from this company called and threatened me two years ago. After reading this board and learning my rights, I found an attorney who filed a lawsuit against them.

It is going to be a nicer Christmas than expected this year, thanks to this collection agency!!'

Thanks to everyone on this board, and to pbm, for all the info that helped me to do this! :)

2. PsychDoc

PsychDoc Well-Known Member

Merry, merry Christmas, Terri! :)

Doc

3. uniondiva

uniondiva Well-Known Member

Congratulations Terri!! Can you post details? What type of account, how much you sued them for, what you sued them for ......etc.????

4. bbauer

bbauer Banned

Hey! Outstanding!
    Proves I'm right when I say it can be done.

Way to go.
    Congrats!

5. OtherTerri

It was an installment loan. They were sued for violating the FCRA. The attorney negotiated with them, I am not sure if he asked for an amount.

Their first offer was: what you said never happened, we didn't call you until later, but we will wipe out your debt and give you $XXX.

We said no! Then the original creditor counter sued me. I had called them and offered to pay them two years ago, they did not even return my call.

Now the debt will be erased, (I had returned the items anyway, so in my opinion if I had paid them they should have given the items back to me. I am sure they are re-sold), and I will have some extra money to pay off bills and increase my credit score!

6. OtherTerri

Thanks Doc and Bill!

7. SisterGirl

SisterGirl Well-Known Member

Congrats,Terri(I'm a Terri too).

Sister Girl

8. OtherTerri

Thanks!

(nice name) :)

9. KristyW

KristyW Well-Known Member

Congrats!

Hey, just curious, what kind of proof did you have that they threatened you - a letter? Just trying to reconstruct the case you had so I can use you as an example.

10. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

Congrats!!!

11. OtherTerri

Thanks for the "congats", Kisty and Breeze!

My proof was the people I spoke to about this immediately after it happened (my husband, a friend who was with him, the original creditor and my friend), and a note I found where I had written the name of the supervisor and the time he gave me to call by. I was very upset by the initial call.

However, I'm not sure how much of this information was actually used. No one was contacted except me. The original compaint is the only thing I have seen.

The letter they (ca) sent after the phone call was a standard form letter.