lease breaks

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by lextalioni, Sep 19, 2000.

1. lextalioni

lextalioni Guest

how long do they stay on? had on in fall 96

2. Killer

Killer Guest

Im pretty sure that they are treated like all other accounts....7 years from the date of delinquency. In this case, probably 7 years from the date you moved out.

I have one on my report also. My ex-spouse and I went our seperate ways, breaking an apartment lease. The balance owed is $800.

We were so stupid we didn't pay the phone bill either and it was reported by a collection agency. The phone company never reported only the collection agency. The balance was not large so I paid the phone company. Then the collection agency listed the account as a paid collection. I disputed saying "I dont know this collection agency, never dealt with them, and paid the original creditor." The collection agency didn't respond and the account was removed. I am planning to do the same with my broken lease. The apartment owners have no account on my report, only the collection agency. I hope I get the same result.

Is your account being reported by the lessor or by a collection agency? Someone told me that lessors can't report but an agency can.

3. Larry

Larry Guest

5 yrs if you live in NY...

Killer wrote:
    -------------------------------
    Im pretty sure that they are treated like all other accounts....7 years from the date of delinquency. In this case, probably 7 years from the date you moved out.

I have one on my report also. My ex-spouse and I went our seperate ways, breaking an apartment lease. The balance owed is $800.

We were so stupid we didn't pay the phone bill either and it was reported by a collection agency. The phone company never reported only the collection agency. The balance was not large so I paid the phone company. Then the collection agency listed the account as a paid collection. I disputed saying "I dont know this collection agency, never dealt with them, and paid the original creditor." The collection agency didn't respond and the account was removed. I am planning to do the same with my broken lease. The apartment owners have no account on my report, only the collection agency. I hope I get the same result.

Is your account being reported by the lessor or by a collection agency? ....