Legally accurate?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Marie, Nov 4, 2001.

1. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

Is a tradeline legally accurate if they round up or down the amounts?

eg: you owe 115.67. If they report 115 or 116 is that accurate?

Yes, I know it's a technicality but is it enough to use it as a basis of dispute...

If so, it could work for literally everything and not be a "lie" in a request for a dispute.

2. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

Hey it's worth a try.

3. bbauer

bbauer Banned

I'm not an attorney, so I can't answer your question from an legal standpoint, only a common sense one based on experience.

I'd be willing to bet that a small chump change amount would not stand up if push came to shove. I feel quite sure that it would rather quickly. I think it would tend to get your account marked as "frivolous disputer" or however they mark it when they think you are sending them frivolous disputes.

If I am seriously disputing a listing, I always tell them exactly what I am doing and why and what I expect from them. I never deal from a standpoint of weakness or frivolity. If I am going to deal with them, I am going to be ready to drop the hammer on them if they don't comply with my wishes. And that's why I never start off by disputing with the credit bureaus. I feel that if I do that I am begging. I never do that either.

It may be worth a try, I don't really know and I wouldn't try to discourage you from doing it. I'm just saying I don't think I would care to try that approach because it has no real strength behind it.

4. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

Well, I wouldn't put it in the dispute. But I do think you could dispute "incorrect balance" as a truthful dispute based on rounding.

I've always found enough inaccuracies to legitimately dispute items. no need to lie. just thinking of yet another truthful way to dispute.

5. LKH

LKH Well-Known Member

I have found that trans union actually rounds up to the nearest 100 your line of credit.

6. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

yes, I have that on my TU report too. odd, though they round up so it helps the ratios :)