Let fall off or dispute?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by MiloBob, Apr 12, 2021.

1. MiloBob

MiloBob New Member

Hello,

I have some collections accounts that that happened when I had a medical emergency and couldn't pay bills. I'm hoping to resolve. Problem is that these accounts are mostly all very old. I'm scared of disputing to 'reset' the clock somehow. What would you attack first, what should I leave alone and let fall off. I'm in California and I believe the statute of limitations is 5 years.

Current Situation: 550 FICO 8.
    Cards/Credit: Capital One Secured ($500) never missed a payment in two years.
    FingerHut $800 limit, never missed a payment (small $50 purchase on auto pay)
    Capital One Platinum: Recently approved/received ($3000) limit.

I also have some positive stuff on my report - like never being late on my student loan (Loan ended, paid in full - score dropped immediately after)

Now the negatives.... I can't find any report that gives me the actual fall-off dates. I'm just going based on the first time I see "30" or a DOFD is listed.

CLOSED ACCOUNTS
    GREAT AMERICAN FINANCE COMPANY (GAFCO) - $1,766.00

DOFD = 05/15
    Notes: Ashley Furniture. Made on-time payments for 7 months. Emergency - then it went to collections. Says 'C' for collections. But is in the 'Closed Accounts' section of my report. Still with original loan company.

BANK OF AMERICA CREDIT CARD - $3,669 (CHARGED OFF)
    DOFD = 07/15
    Notes: Charged off 1/16. Had 14 Months of on-time payments. Marked as CO for past 5 years.

COLLECTIONS
    AD ASTRA RECOVERY - $3,454

DOFD = 07/16
    Notes: Payday lender title loan.

I.C. SYSTEM INC - $1,108
    DOFD = 07/16
    Notes: In collections. Went to hospital 07/16 cancelled AT&T account and roommate was supposed to return equipment for me. Never did. AT&T wouldn't accept it late.

POTFOLIO RECOVERY ASSOC - $1,134
    DOFD = 07/15
    Notes: This one is strange. It was a Capital One ($1000) Mastercard. I can't find payment history anywhere on any report. it's just reported as a bulk sum of ($1,134). Says date first opened 07/17. But DOFD 07/15. Account Type "Factoring Company" and says "Loan Balance" on the account details. So no positive history, but also no section that says 30/60/90 days late.
    Got a letter from Portfolio Recovery that said they would not sue and offered a deal for like $600 but I couldn't afford at the time.

Conclusion:

Will doing the easy "online dispute" through Credit Karma or Experian on these accounts open back up the door on the statue of limitations and allow them to sue me? Which ones are safe for me to attempt? Written letters (Validate debt/offers/pay to delete)? I don't have enough spare cash to handle really any deals on these right now. Looking for dispute advice to just delete if possible to improve score w/o waiting another 1-2 years for them to all fall off naturally.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
    JoshuaHeckathorn likes this.