Letter to Experian

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by LKH, Jul 3, 2001.

1. LKH

LKH Well-Known Member

Below is a copy of a letter I am going to send to Experian. In April, Junum got a charge off deleted. A few weeks later I got an updated report showing that the item had been reinserted. I called Experian to ask how this was certified to be correct as per FCRA. The rep told me it was updated when the monthly tape report came in. I also asked for the name and phone of the person certifying the info as correct. Of course no name was available and the phone # they gave me was the toll free customer service number. IF anybody has anything to add to the letter please do so.

Experian

Dear Sir or Madam:
    I am writing in regards to a situation that has arisen between Experian and myself. In April of 2001, I disputed an entry on my credit report from creditor. Creditor could not or did not verify the accuracy or correctness of this entry. Therefore, Experian deleted the entry from my credit report.
    The entry was account number xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx

Several weeks later I received an updated credit report from Experian showing that this item had been reinserted on my report. I called your office and was told by one of your customer service representatives that this item was reinserted because of the monthly update done by tape by Creditor. As you are aware, the FCRA states that an item that was deleted may not be reinserted unless the creditor has provided certified information updating or ensuring that the information is correct. A monthly tape update is not certified information. Further, I asked for the name and phone number of the authorized agent at creditor that provided the â??certifiedâ? information. I was told that the name of the person was unavailable and was given the contact phone number. The phone number I was given is the toll free customer service number for card holders. This is further evidence that nothing was certified in the manner required by law.
    I am therefore demanding the creditor tradeline be permanently deleted from my credit records. Be advised that I have spoken with my attorney and I am prepared to take whatever action my be necessary to have this matter resolved to my satisfaction.

Sincerely,
    LKH

2. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

Aren't you also supposed to be notified by the CRA if an item is reinserted? I think so.

another FCRA violation :)

3. making

making Well-Known Member

I agree with Marie. the FCRA section 511(a)(5)(B) states that they have 5 days after it has been reinserted to provide notice blah blah blah. They didnt do that did they?

4. making

making Well-Known Member

Also, they were supposed to provide that contact information in writing within 5 days...you shouldnt have had to have called.

5. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

LKH,

Are you sending this via Planet Feedback to the Executive office or registered mail or what?

I think you have a great letter here especially with the board comments but the lcorrespondence needs to get to a responsible party.

Best regards - Jim

6. LKH

LKH Well-Known Member

As I stated, they sent me an updated report showing this item reinserted. That was the front page. I have no idea if they did this within 5 days or not. And no, there was no contact info included other than the toll free customer service number.
    I decided not to use Planetfeedback on this one. I will find out on Thursday who it needs to be sent to and direct it to that person.

7. LKH

LKH Well-Known Member

I am bumping this up so I can get an opinion from you guys as to what you think of the content of the letter.

Thanks

8. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

I think it's good, LKH. You called them on their sloppy methods. I hope it works. They can sure stonewall, but seem to fold and go home at the mention of lawyers.

breeze