Lexington / Capital One

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by DaveLV, Apr 23, 2001.

1. DaveLV

DaveLV Well-Known Member

Thought I'd combine a couple of topics here...

First, I got an unexpected email (at least *I* didn't expect it) with a summary of what Lexington is doing on my behalf. I notice it came on the day they charged my credit card for their monthly fee, so I guess this is their way of doing a billing statement. The date they disputed each agency is listed along with a list of each CRA and all of the negative items on each report with an "in progress" notation next to them.

Second, today marks my fourth day trying to get the Capital One consumer advocate on the phone. He never seems to be there and isn't returning my call when I leave a message. I thought this was a little odd since everyone else seems to be getting right through. I'll try again tomorrow.

2. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

To Dave

The consumer advocate took a week of vacation when I was talking to him. We got my issues settled over a 10 day interval instead of a 2-3 day interval. I bet he is busier now.

3. DaveLV

DaveLV Well-Known Member

Re: To Dave

Really? So it turned out to be a drawn-out negotiation rather than you just telling them what you want and them telling you what you were going to get?

4. sam

sam Well-Known Member

just use planetfeedback. they'll call you up.

I told them my issues, they satisfied them, to some degree.

I wanted:
    One card (combine)
    Lower APR
    Return of Security Deposit
    Line increase.

Amazingly, they addressed all of the issues. I didn't expect to get a call back from them. I figured i'd get around to calling them sooner or later.

5. DaveLV

DaveLV Well-Known Member

My calling him is a result of their request for me to do so after sending a letter through planetfeedback.

6. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

Dave

Don't let me make you nervous. I spoke to the Consumer Advocate the day after he received my Planet Feedback E-mail. When I called he immediately gave me a reduction in apr. from 17.8% to 13.9 as I asked. However...

I wanted a $1,000 limit increase. He insisted that Cap One had to run a hard inquiry. I gave permission. Then he went on vacation. When he returned, I got $300.

Win some and lose some. I was quite happy over the outcome.

7. Archer

Archer Guest

Cap One increase

I got a $200 student Visa from Cap One back in 11/00. I called up Cap One retention today and asked if I could get a little increase on my $200 limit. I spoke to this very kind and polite gentleman who asked me how much of an increase I wanted, I said whatever he thought was good. So right off the bat he said he would give me a $500 increase. I was so shocked I forgot to ask about why they arent reporting my limit to the CRAs. Anyway, I just thougth I'd share my experience with everyone. And Oh yeah!, I almost forgot, I also got approved today for a Providian Gold Visa for a puney $500 limit. All of this thanks to the wonderful people on this board.

8. DaveLV

DaveLV Well-Known Member

Re: Cap One increase

Be good to Providian. That puny $500 visa I got from them three years ago is a $7800 gold visa now. And that's without me knowing that you can call and ask them for things until last month.

9. jonesing

jonesing Well-Known Member

Providian gold

wow Dave! Thanks for the inspiration on the Providian card...I have two Visas with them. I called the retention number last week to see what offers were available (thanks to what I've learned from here) and was told that I'd have to wait 120 days since I had my APR lowered and a $1000 limit increase back in Dec 2000.

What I really want is to see about moving up to the gold card or the smart card. She said the smart card is by invitation only yada yada yada...what chaps me is a buddy got one of those preapproved invitations for the smart card and I know his credit is trashed right now (1 defaulted student loan, 3 120-day retails) but he's been getting awesome--as good as you can get with bad credit that is--offers from CapOne, Providian and Associates, go figure.