Lien on my house,CRA?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by BurnIt, Sep 30, 2003.

1. BurnIt

BurnIt Well-Known Member

What a situation!

Last year, we built a new home. The general contractor took out a construction loan and handled everything. Found out last week he claimed bankruptcy. He paid only half of the subcontractor's on my home. Some plan on liening my home. My attorney says that we can easily take those liens off because we went through a title company and everything was signed for free and clear of any/all liens. Basically, this guy was a crook and took their final waivers, but did not pay them.

When these liens hit my home, will they be reported on my credit? Like I said, my attorney will have them removed (for $$$$) but in the meantime, I plan on purchasing a new car, and refinancing the house.

Anybody know anything about mechanics liens?

2. jlynn

jlynn Well-Known Member

What state? Laws vary.

3. BurnIt

BurnIt Well-Known Member

Illinois.....

I contacted my lawyer again. He did indicate that a lien placed on my home would be reported to the CRA.

Has this happened to anyone?

4. jlynn

jlynn Well-Known Member

What procedures do they have to follow before they place a lien on your home?

I just don't see how anyone can go and slap a lien on without a hearing or something...

5. Flyingifr

Flyingifr Well-Known Member

Liens against real estate are not reported on CRA's UN:ESS the lien was created by a judgement against the owner of the real estate. Then it is reported as a Judgement, not a lien.