Loan list as too new to rate

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by lena, Mar 18, 2001.

1. lena

lena Well-Known Member

How long does a loan have to be in effect (or to have) for it not be list as Too new to rate. Last semester, I applied for a short term loan for school but I end up canceling it because I did not attend last semester. But anyways I was wondering if I took out a short term loan for $500 each semester and pay it out over the time they give me. Will this help my credit score? The one I cancel is given as an installment. Is too new to rate a bad factor or does not count toward or effect score if paid off?

2. lena

lena Well-Known Member

Re: Loan list as too new to ra

Because I am thinking about taking it out for the next four semester or would it be best to apply for a college loan through federal aid for one semester for a big amount such as 3000. I haven't taken out any loans for school before because so far I have not needed it. My parents have been paying for it all in cash up until now. But since I screwed up my credit during my Fresh & soph year. I am having second thoughts. Maybe I should start with getting loans through the school while I am still there, I got accepted for short term loan in my name and my credit sucks. Checked Equifax I have a score of 471, with 6 charge offs, and 1 good account, and 2 collections but with all this the school let me still get a short term loan. They are listed on my equifax report, I wonder did they check it. And when you apply for federal loans through the government do they view your credit report? I am on the road to rebuilding my credit, First thought is taking out school loans and repaying them over the semester since they will give them too me? Any advice is welcome

3. FatJake

FatJake Guest

Re: Loan list as too new to ra

Lena,
    Check the bottom of your report for Inruiries to see if they checked that report. They may have checked another CRA report and reporting to all three. I am also a student. My score was 675 and I have a five year old Chapter 7. TU is my best report, Equifax, then Experian. I know that the Federally backed student loans are not credit dependant at all. Go to your schools Financial aid office and pickup the FASFA Student guide. Also if your school participates in the direct loan program you never have to deal with a bank. The loot comes directly from the federal goverment to your school and then to you. I myself plan on using student loans to boost my score by paying it off on time. Also it's an installment account.