Lost IRS refund check

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by shortt23, Aug 10, 2003.

1. shortt23

shortt23 Well-Known Member

I left my purse in the dressing room of Sears yesterday and no one turned it in. My advance child credit check was in it. Will the IRS reissure the check? I am having the worst of luck lately.

2. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

MOST LIKELY

Call the 800# and ask...they could put a STOP PAYMENT...WAIT TIME WILL BE 30-60 DAYS (GUESS) WITH REISSUE

Many stores...includine mine are casshing them for FREE...but ID requirements are ALWAYS followed...so there is a 99% chance that it would not even be cashed..."IF" IT WAS...THEY WOULD TRACE IT BACK TO THE THIEF...

3. Why Chat

Why Chat Well-Known Member

I presume you have put a fraud alert notice on your credit reports? Notified the cc companies? The drivers license bureau? Had the locks changed in your home?

4. shortt23

shortt23 Well-Known Member

I have my are keys. They have my driver's license so I'm hoping they can't cash it.

5. sam

sam Well-Known Member

basically if you don't cash the check about 1 year later you'll get another one, or they'll credit it towards your next years taxes.

In my case, i owed them money, so they took it.

Anyways. It took approx. 12 months then the check came back $400. not a big deal to me since well i paid them a "fraction on the dollar" of what i ultimately owed them.

6. Flyingifr

Flyingifr Well-Known Member

Go to the IRS web site (www.irs.gov) and download Form 3911, fill it out and send it in. They should re-issue the check in about 6 weeks.