"Lost or stolen card&quot

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Angela, Dec 20, 2000.

1. Angela

Angela Guest

I got a Capital One card this year. The card they sent me never arrived. I called them and the account was immediately closed. No problems and no charges were ever made on it.

A new card was mailed to me a week later and I have been using it faithfully to build credit.

My question is whether the first card listed as "lost or stolen" on all 3 CRA reports is hurting my FICO score? Or is this an irrelevant neutral type issue that I should forget about? Both cards have truthfully been reported to the CRA's but if the first card is hurting me, I want to try and delete it.

Does anyone know if that first card is hurting my FICO score?

2. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

RE: "Lost or stolen card&

DISPUTE IT...HAVE THEM CHANGE IT TO "LOST IN MAIL"...OR REMOVE IT!!!

3. Angela

Angela Guest

Thanks George.

It sounds like you suspect the entry is a NEGATIVE. Have you ever heard anything about whether this a factor in a FICO score?

By the way, I will try and change to lost in the mail.

4. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

RE: Thanks George.

I don't know if it affects FICO, but you didn't LOSE IT OR HAVE IT STOLEN!!!

I had a card lost in the mail (YEARS AGO) so every time I saw it on the credit report, it made me mad so I disputed it!!!

TOOK SIX MONTHS, BUT IT WAS FINALLY REMOVED. THEY SAID THEY CAN'T STATE "LOST IN MAIL" EVEN IF THE CREDIT CARD COMPANY CONFIRMS THAT IT WAS!!!

5. john

john Well-Known Member

RE: Thanks George.

>> I don't know if it affects FICO, but you
    >> didn't LOSE IT OR HAVE IT STOLEN!!!

It says "LOST OR STOLEN"; it does not say "LOST BY CONSUMER" or "STOLEN BY CONSUMER", which is what your comment seems to insinuate.

The reason it's listed on your report as 'lost or stolen' is so that someone can't try to obtain credit (i.e., "instant credit at a store") and use that lost/stolen card as part of a proof of identity. It's for your own protection.

No, it does not affect your score(s).