Macy's "backdoor" credit increase?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Saar, Jun 22, 2001.

1. Saar

Saar Banned

Ok, we all know one can call Macy's 1-800-289-6229, ask to speak w/ "Credit Granting", apply for an increase, and get a "yes" or a "no".

Could there possible be a "backdoor" way of getting increases? Not sure but it's worth a shot.

There is a "New Accounts Credit Department" that appears to be also capable of granting increases. The number is 1-800-537-0162, say you'd like to talk with "Authorizations" about an increase. When they ask for a reference #, give your Macy's card #.

BTW, disregard the "new accts" part of their title, mine isn't a new acct anymore and they still discussed it w/ me.

Saar

2. sph88

sph88 Well-Known Member

Thanks, I just got my account and called the second #you listed and got a 400.00 increase.

3. Saar

Saar Banned

Re: Macy's "backdoor" credit increa

That's quite impressive for a first increase on a new account. What was the initial limit?

Saar

4. sph88

sph88 Well-Known Member

800.00. Thanks for the info!

5. Saar

Saar Banned

You're welcome.

I just got the direct 800 # for "Authorizations" (the second route for limit increases). It's 1-800-956-6229. Enjoy :)

Saar

6. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

Hey Saar,

Sorry that I have nothing to contribute to the Macy's post about how to get more credit via "backdoor" increases but...

If you may remember, last month, I went into a Macy's store and got a large increase over the phone. What I have been concerned about is whether the increase will get reported to the CRA's or not? Also, how long it will take to show up?

Any ideas? I remember that you have had 1 or 2 prior increases.

BTW - I hope you see Lizard King's post to you about credit inquiries and the 100 word statements. I am working on my inquiries just like Lizard. Therefore, I am hoping you will answer him in your usual "take it from the start and be thorough" manner.

7. Saar

Saar Banned

Thanks, Jim.

Macy's reports monthly (in my case it's more like every 45 days), so your limit should be updated soon enough.

I can't answer Lizard's question just yet. I've been trying several strategies, it's all still in the works. Will let you, Lizard & everyone know, as soon as I have the answer.

I'd be happy to see your name on the FTC thread. I know you share my view about this, and I think we're not too far away from reaching the point of "critical mass".

Saar

8. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

Saar,

Thanks for the Macy's reporting info.

I fully understand your temporary silence on the inquiry strategies. Why tell us anything unless you know it works.

I hope Lizard sees this thread as he may think it is odd that you didn't answer him.

Will check out your FTC post for action!!!

BTW - Did you ever run across any "definite credit scoring info" regarding how long the hard inquiries hurt us? For example - It hurts 100% for 3 months. Then 75% until 6 months have passed by. Then 25% until the 2 year point.

The %'s and times I just posed are hypothetical and not based on any facts at all. I know that you appear to have more knowledge about the credit score algorithm(s) than I do.

Thanks again

9. sph88

sph88 Well-Known Member

I just called the 3rd number that you posted and recieved another 700.00 increase!Thanks for the info.

10. Cadillac408

Cadillac408 Well-Known Member

And what did you say to them? You just called and said....hey....I need an increase and they said o.k.?So you went from $800 to $1200 to $1900?????

11. sph88

sph88 Well-Known Member

No, actually I explained that this was the lowest limit card that I have and informed them of what my income was.In case you did not notice there is no place for income on the application.
    They said that the computer had been giving me the other increases and set my initial limit.I asked if a person could review my report and not just look at my score..........

12. once38

once38 Well-Known Member

While shopping at the store I bought some shirts
    and a sport coat which was going to max me out.
    The clerk said he could call in for an increase.Thirty
    seconds later I had a $300 increase.Good store,good
    prices,good service.