Macy's Credit Card

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by curious, Apr 2, 2001.

1. curious

curious Well-Known Member

I just attempted to apply by phone, the CSR was very rude, came back on the line and told me that they would have to process my application the old fashion way because I didn't pass the first security checks. I asked her what that meant and she said that she couldn't discuss it. She then told me that as long as I am who I say I am, I should have no problem. What the hell?

Does anybody know what the hell the security checks are?

2. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

Address match with credit report.
    Employer match.
    Phone match.
    AMONG OTHER THINGS UNKNOWN...

If you moved...RED FLAG.
    If you changed jobs...RED FLAG.
    If you have an unlisted phone # that is a problem...they call information...RED FLAG.

They just want to make sure YOU ARE YOU!

They will probably now ask for a copy of your phone bill showing phone number and address and a copy of paycheck or stub...

3. curious

The only problem is that my phone number is unlisted, I bet that is what it is.

Thanks, George.

4. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

GOOD LUCK

5. sam

sam Well-Known Member

they both look up the # at 411, and also call to see if you are home (while you are on the line ) :)

6. curious

She made it seem like it was something bad. She told me that she hadn't even pulled a credit report yet, that she couldn't verify some information. We'll see.

7. Austin

Austin Guest

red flags

So let's see, I just moved:
    - new phone number (unlisted)
    - new wireless phone (unlisted)
    - haven't received any "official" mail like a utility bill or bank statement at the new address yet

I guess that means I'm screwed...

My SO who uses her parents' address for everything--as far as the credit/banking world is concerned, she's lived in the one spot her entire life.

8. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

Re: red flags

Just courious...WHY do you pay extra for "UNLISTED" you should know that advertising phone solicitors now use this new invention called a computer...

9. the other

the other Well-Known Member

There is no charge to have your number unlisted (at least not here in NY)

10. Nave

Nave Well-Known Member

They charge your for unlisted # in DC also George.

I wanna know why they charge you NOT to have your number sent out on caller ID! Thats even less logical.

-Dave

11. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

Oh, in CALIFORNIA they were getting like $5 or $10 per month for the privilege (years ago)...

My brother-in-law paid for it, he got three times more "JUNK" advertising calls than I did with a listed phone number...

12. Austin

Austin Guest

A friend wondered why all the "security" because I was annoyed that I couldn't have our number permanently blocked for outgoing caller ID. You have to dial the code to do it for each call whereas my old state allowed you to block and then dial a code whent you *want* your number displayed.

It's not for the advertising people, it's more for certain people from the past who I don't ever want to hear from. Including some abusive people who have threatened me and/or my loved ones.

A guy at work says he does the opposite. He has his number listed (no address) but he also has that "priority calling" plan. That's where they give you one or two extra phone numbers but they ring differently depending on which number people dialed. He says anyone dialing the main number is probably a bank or telemarketer. The second number he is for incoming faxes so he never answers it. The third number is for family/friends.