Macy's credit limit increase

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Jim, May 26, 2001.

1. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

Yesterday, I posted about my Robinsons-May credit limit increase. As you know, Macy's and Robinsons-May were the only surviving credit card accounts I had when my BK was discharged in Feb. '99.

Today, I visited the local Macy's and a Manager there contacted the credit dept. on my behalf. Normally, they prefer that customers use the automated credit request ( as in hard inquiry ) telephone system. I spoke with the rep and was given an increase of $900 immediately. My limit was increased from $600 to $1500 without a hard inquiry.

I actually asked for an increase from $600 to $1,000 but the rep said...

"Jim, your credit is great with us (goes back to the '80's) you can have more than a $1,000"

I paused. This is the 2nd time in two days that I have been treated like the old days. You know; pre BK when I just applied and always received what or more than I asked for. So I requested a $1500 credit limit.

BTW, I used this account every month from Nov. '98 when I filed for BK to Feb. '01. Some months, I just paid as little as $5 so there would be activity on the account. In March and April I let the account rest. Two days ago, I put a small balance on the account in preparation for my credit limit increase request today.

I really wanted a limit increase because on my credit reports the $600 limit shows with a high balance of $750. I don't know how this happened. Maybe I went over my limit once years ago or something. Anyway the new limit amount should show in a month or two.

Anyone, who is desperate and planning a BK - try and keep a few accounts current and out of the creditor's hearing. Your credit recovery will be much quicker.

2. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

P.S. to Saar and VJ;

Thank you for your detailed discussion 3 weeks ago about Macy's credit and their scoring system. It helped.

3. VJ

VJ Well-Known Member

Jim, I'm not sure if we were any help to you, but thanks.

After reading your post about Macys, it looks like you didn't need much help from anyone.

Remember to always check and see if a hard inquiry was pulled without permission.Great organization but mistakes happen.

Bottom line is you deserved a increase and they, based on risk and performance, felt comfortable giving it to you.

There is a great feeling of satisfaction that comes with being treated with simple courtesy.(And knowing your fico score will go up 5-10 points next month)

VJ

4. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

Thanks VJ!! -

You and Saar helped with Macy's & Robinsons

Eddie helped with Nextcard

Roni helped with the GM card

Kristi helped with Junum

I could go on and on:

The board is extremely valuable. I just hope others read of our joint success and restore their credit.