Maryland Students Use Speed Cameras for Revenge

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by cap1sucks, Dec 22, 2008.

1. cap1sucks

cap1sucks Well-Known Member

High school students in Maryland are using speed cameras as a tool to fine innocent drivers in a game, according to the Montgomery County Sentinel newspaper. Because photo enforcement devices will automatically mail out a ticket to any registered vehicle owner based solely on a photograph of a license plate, any driver could receive a ticket if someone else creates a duplicate of his license plate and drives quickly past a speed camera. The private companies that mail out the tickets often do not bother to verify whether vehicle registration information for the accused vehicle matches the photographed vehicle.

Read the rest of the story here

There are several more links to interesting articles about red light speeding cameras in the left hand column of this blog. One of them leads to a video about this new device.

You can actually buy the device from J.C. Whitney.com which is a nationally known distributor of all kinds of automobile parts and products. They are based in Chicago and you can get a catalog of all their various products. I think their catalog is free for the asking. I've even seen their catalogs in some convenience stores if I remember correctly. They are much like O'Reilleys or Auto Zone or other similiar auto parts outlets.

A google map showing where red light cameras are installed anywhere in the U.S.