Maybe we should havee the memb

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Melissa, Feb 26, 2001.

1. Melissa

Melissa Well-Known Member

register to the site with nicks, and then only registered users could post here. Maybe this would help get rid of Bobby too.
    Just a suggestion,
    Melissa

2. <b>pbm</b>

<b>pbm</b> Guest

<b>RE: Maybe we should havee t

<HTML>Dear Melissa,

Requiring users to register prior to posting is not an inherent feature of this board software. However, we are currently considering our options to modify the board software accordingly.

Sincerely,
    pbm

Creditnet.com
    </HTML>

3. Donna

Donna Well-Known Member

RE: Maybe we should havee the

Having a closed list isn't such a bad idea. That way, PBM would have more control and trouble-makers could more easily be locked out. I have a feeling, though, that this would create even more work for our moderator.

Donna

4. Dustin

Dustin Well-Known Member

One thing I would suggest if an idea like this is implemented. Make it simple! User name, password, email, and maybe one or two other questions. That is one thing I really do not like. When registering for a forum, some ask for b-day, dob, ... stuff that has no relevency to the board...

Also, I don't know what software this board uses (or if it is custom), but UBB, Ikonboard, and others allow users to register/ or to post anonamously depending on the moderators choice...

Dust

5. Cadillac408

Cadillac408 Well-Known Member

How is this going to solve anything? People could just give fake information. IP addresses don't lie though....

6. Donna

Donna Well-Known Member

According to my understanding, if we had a registered discussion group, the moderator would have more control and trouble-makers could more easily be locked out. And, if they came back to cause more trouble under a different provider, they could be caught again and barred from posting.

7. roni

roni Well-Known Member

too much work for pbm.

if we all just ignored bobby's post, all this wouldnot be necessary. He makes it so obvious who he is with his grammer. Bobby's games are not new here. We have all been dealing fine by ignoring him thus far.

roni

8. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

RE: too much work for pbm.

He gets "POWER" both from the people who respond, and people who ignore him.

Since you can't see who it really is posting before you read it...HE WINS BOTH WAYS.

AM I WRONG?

9. roni

roni Well-Known Member

good point.

But i dont want this site like Bayhouse and creditmania. I dont post there anymore because of registration. Too much work.

roni

10. Nave

Nave Well-Known Member

how bout just blocking HSA's I

It could be just as easy to block all posts from the entire HSA ISP. Not like there are a slew of credible posts from them you want to let through anyway.

Maybe a simple block of their class "x" block will stop him/her/it and it will go away. It can be done at the many levels so that the Bulletin Board software does not need any additions during your upcoming release. Won't stop him from spamming directly but it will shut him up.

At least for a short time... he doesnt seem intelligent enough to spoof his IP. Too cheap &/or dumb to proxy or change ISP's either.

Although it would seem that such a simple solution would have been investigated by pbm ... sometimes simple problem's caused by simple people require simple solutions.

BOTTOM LINE - He will be caught...if someone can not solve this soon I will look into anything I could do to get him booted.
    -Dave

11. Nave

Nave Well-Known Member

Some info

Here is some block info and contacting Exodus communications, who seems to be up river from HSA, may help.

AUTH0.NS.HSACORP.NET 209.225.8.42

High Speed Access Corp (NETBLK-HSACORP-2BLK) HSACORP-2BLK
    24.240.0.0 - 24.241.127.255
    24.240.141.0 - 24.240.141.255

AUTH0.NS.HSACORP.NET 09.225.8.42
    Exodus Communications Inc.
    209.225.0.0 - 209.225.95.255

[Query: 209.225.8.43, Server: whois.arin.net]

Exodus Communications Inc. Sterling(DC2) (NETBLK-EC17-2)
    2831 Mission College Blvd.
    Santa Clara, CA 95112

Netname: EC17-2
    Netblock: 209.225.0.0 - 209.225.95.255
    Maintainer: EC17

Coordinator:
    Center, Network Control (NOC44-ARIN) CompServ@Exodus.net
    (888) 239-6387 (FAX) (888) 239-6387