MBNA America

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Mike, Apr 14, 2001.

1. Mike

Mike Well-Known Member

Hi all, I've been an MBNA Plat. Plus member for two years now and I was wondering if anyone negotiated with them to remove the balance transfer fees? They're giving me good rates, but the fees keep turning me away.

2. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

if you have 10k or more in credit line, switch to the Quantum card. No fees, 5.9 intro rate til Aug, 13.99 int and NO fees whatsoever.

3. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member

mike,
    I don't think that they let to get away balance transfer without a fee. By the way, they offered you balnce transfer checks with low APR without transfer fee occasionally. I tried to speak with them to lower my rate for Quantum Card and they don't have such thing with MBNA. So you don't have bother to ask them for lower rate for your card.

Ron.

4. FoolEugene

FoolEugene Member

I just got their card (Barnes & Noble Platinum Plus), and they let me get a cash advance for the FULL amount of my credit line transfered directly to my money market account. Promo 1.7% APR for 4 months, BT fee waived, over the limit fee also waived (obviously, the finance charge put me over the limit after the first statement because the card is maxed out). I got the money on my bank account even before I got the card in the mail.

5. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

MBNA AMERICA never did charge a balance transfer fee on phone transfers until recently.

Also some checks were fee free, all you had to do was read the wording.

6. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member

FoolEugene,
    It is not too good that you max out the account in the first month. Even thought they offer me low APR balance transfer when they activiated my Barnes and Nobles Mastercard. It is because I didn't owe anything on my other credit card account.

Ron.

7. FoolEugene

FoolEugene Member

At that point that cash advance was more important for me than my score. It wil bounce back after I completely pay it off after four months, so that's fine.

8. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

NO fee MBNA Quantum card

Ok, I'll reiterate. Of course there is a Quantum card. It's their top card. There is an absolutely NO FEE Quantum card. I know b/c my spouse has it and I am an AU on the card. Most of the Quantum cards have fees, though.

To start with, the Quantum card is the step above the Platinum Plus and it has several levels. There are at least 3 Quantum levels of cards and we chose to get the completely NO FEE card. Yes, no fees for anything. But with this we got the higher interest rate of 13.99.

The regular customer service reps aren't that knowledgable about this product. It's new this year.

Here is the Quantum MBNA direct number. Call them and ask about switching your account. Of course, as I said before, if your credit line isn't at least 10k you cannot get a Quantum upgrade. And, they seemed to also credit qualify for this card upgrade so you have to have stellar credit to get it. The balance transfer intro rate is 5.9 and there were no fees to transfer. I think the intro rate lasts until Aug. then it goes to 13.9. It also has concierge service and travel services. They're trying to compete with the higher level Amex services.

Quantum MBNA: 800-896-3698

And as an aside, never listen to someone who says to "not bother trying" to decrease your APR. That's just dumb. Always try and if you get a bad rep, call back. Persistence is the key.