MBNA Amtrak - declined!

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Jim, Aug 29, 2001.

1. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

I applied for the card when a premature report was posted on the board that the Amtrak card is new and easy to get. The writer of the original thread was initially approved for a card with a marginal credit history. Then disapproved. Was the writer at fault here - NO!! Was MBNA at fault - YES!!

MBNA pulled my Experian report which has no derogatories any more and a Creditexpert score over 700. Five (5) inquiries were in dispute when EX was pulled. I called MBNA yesterday and was informed that my application had been declined. I did not ask why I was declined. A letter is probably in the mail to me at this time explaining why I was declined.

This card may be more difficult to get than expected... or ...

MBNA may have flagged me as the irate customer who directed them to never send me a "preapproved" offer again after I responded to one of them in February and was rejected due to having 3 derogatory accounts on my EX report. At the time, I was irritated at them for flooding my mailbox with these offers every week with a 1.9% teaser rate.

I do not like MBNA and should not have applied for this card. I have plenty of credit anyway.

For what it is worth, I am sharing my experience with the board.

Best regards - Jim

2. Mist

Mist Well-Known Member

This is one more example of why I think the cc companies have kept databases of our past credit histories from their PRM inquiries. With a score of over 700 and no negs you should have gotten this card unless the amount you owe is way too high for the income you stated on the application.

They know way more about us from their past PRMs. I'm more convinced of this every day. It's not fair because items in the past PRM's that are now removed are in most cases items that were truly errors.

I would like to see legislation that the cc companies, unless you have an account with them, cannot under any circumstances, keep databases of your credit history. Big Brother has invaded and it's time for a revolt to stop him!

3. Donna

Donna Well-Known Member

I was declined, too. But, after reading some of the comments on this board from others who had applied, I saw the rejection letter coming.

No biggy, though, I didn't need the credit. Had I gotten the card, I would have done a balance transfer on one of my CapOne cards and, then having a zero balance, combined that card with my seconc CapOne account.

But all this is moot now. Regardless of the temptation, NO MORE CREDIT! Even if it kills me, I'm going to stay on the wagon for at least the next six months. Maybe longer. What I'll do is concentrate very hard on paying off the ones I have.

Donna

4. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

Hi Donna,

Maybe concentrate on credit limit increases on existing accounts if you want them. I bet we both get offers on the existing accounts anyway.

Jim

5. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

Hi Mist,

I agree. I have a lot of soft inquiries, PRM's, AR's etc.

My income is high, my balances are low. I have a lot of credit now.

Jim

6. Hal

Hal Well-Known Member

I also received a decline. Despite my low Fico, the reason suprised me.

"While we have made every effort to approve your application we are unable to do so at this time. We feel you have sufficient available credit on your existing accounts."

Available credit - what a laugh. Let's see:

Capital One - $400.00 limit, $83.00 available.

AAFES (This is a post exchange on miltary bases)
    $4,000.00 limit - $273.00 available).

Que Sera, Sera.

7. brad

brad Well-Known Member

Mark me down as declined too! They pulled EX on me.I got a kick out of one of the reasons for the decline was DEBT TO INCOME RATIO TOO HIGH? My total C.C. debt is less than 3% of my gross income.

8. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

Hi Hal,

I got the same line of nonsense in February from MBNA.

Jim

9. Donna

Donna Well-Known Member

I hope you're right, Jim, and we'll both start getting limit increases. I'm sure that you especially will since the balance you carry on your cards is low.

If Citi gave me an increase, I'd be shocked! My limit with them is $18000. I'm pretty content with that.

My two CapOne cards have a combined limit of $7000. Last April, I think it was, Mr. Miller granted me a $1000 increase on each and advised me to wait nine months before asking again.

So when the time comes, and I do ask again, what I'll probably do is combine cards and upgrade to platinum.

Chase is the one card I'd like to get an increase on. My current limit is $5500 and that's not bad. From what I understand, Chase is pretty tight with the increases, so I think I'll wait til January...my account will be one year old then...and see if I can get an increase.

The last credit card I have is the Household UnionPlus card and my limit on that is only $1500. Like Chase, this card will be a year old in January and I may choose to cancel it then. The limit is low and I don't see a lot of potential for change.

Good luck getting the limits on your cards increased. You've done a great job with your credit thus far.

Donna

10. marci

marci Well-Known Member

Donna,

You've got some pretty decent credit lines. Nice going...

11. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

Donna,

My GM card is only $1500. I was told to contact Household in October (6 months history) to be considered for an increase. You may want to do the same.

You are doing great if Citi has given you an $18K limit!!!. My highest limit is my $10K Capital One Platinum card that the Exec office gave me back a few months ago. It's 11.9% fixed apr. I had gotten rid of the card in the mid 90's when I got divorced. Without the board here, I would have never known I could get get the card back.

Jim

12. Donna

Donna Well-Known Member

Thanks, Marci. I appreciate the kind words.

You've also done a terrific job with your credit. I'm very proud of you and what you've accomplished. You've written some excellent letters to your creditors and I bet you come across very well on the phone, too.

Donna

13. Donna

Donna Well-Known Member

Thanks, Jim, for the Household tip.

What I think I'll do is work on getting down my balances a little more and then call. At that time, if Household doesn't give me a decent increase, I'll politely cancel.

Donna

14. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

Donna,

Let us know what happens if you decide to request an increase from Household. My GM card is my lowest limit visa/mc.

I intend to keep the card for 3 years as I think it was Saar who brought up some pretty convincing evidence that your FICO score will rise when an account matures at the 12, 24, and 36 month milestones. I went to a lot of trouble to get the card and put up with the inquiry.

Jim

15. Donna

Donna Well-Known Member

Jim,

Yes, I understand, from what little we know about FICO, that the maximum points for a new account are granted after three years. Nonetheless, I may still cancel Household. My decision will be based on whether I can get better terms and a higher limit.

For certain, I'll keep the card for a year and then I may count my losses and cancel. This was an easy card for me to get. I responded to one of those pre-approved offers in the mail and my new card arrived within two weeks.

Thus far, Household has been okay but I wouldn't say they are outstanding. I'll take my Citi or Chase card over them any day.

Good luck and I'll let you know when something happens with this card.

Donna

16. amaineman

amaineman Well-Known Member

A friend was declined for the same reason as Hal, no real basis for their decision.

MBNA is a major employer in Maine (moved here 5 years ago). They have bought up a great deal of coastal locations, received major tax breaks and still pay a whopping $8 an hour.

I think when they leave the state (which they currently are not planning) they will be able to sell their prime locations for 10 to 20 times more than they paid.

17. river

river Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear,but it could be your total " debt -versus- income"percentage score.

18. $wealth$

$wealth$ Well-Known Member

Did anyone get approved for this card?

There were several of us who applied when the original thread was posted, myself included.

I have not received a denial letter yet, maybe this is a good sign, eh?

Just curious if anyone has this card.

19. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

$wealth,

I hope you get the card! I haven't actually received my denial letter yet and I don't recall anyone here reporting that they got the card.

Maybe someone here will get it?

Jim

20. Geo

Geo Well-Known Member

Yes, I was approved for this card. I received a call to my home from MBNA two days ago,
    They asked me some questions about my oldest credit card (Cap One) and then the lady said me that I was approved with a $5500 limit.