MBNA and BT's ? Marci, anyone?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Amy B, Aug 12, 2003.

1. Amy B

Amy B Well-Known Member

Hi there......I'd love to hear from those of you who did in fact use their mbna bt's and have not had problems getting line increases etc.....

After reading what you said Marci, about not using them for bt's....I am a little worried. I did charge it up, but paid it off in 3 mos. Now I'm wondering if I shot myself in the foot. Can anyone give me some glimmer of hope from their own experience?

BTW Marci, what's like the MOST you've ever charged on your mbna card? I am pretty sure you said you never revolved a balance. I am going to try to do that with my cards I think.

Do any lenders LIKE you to revolve??? :::sigh::: need a new addiction! lol

2. marci

marci Well-Known Member

I do do balance transfers with MBNA but I do them and pay them off within the same billing cycle. I do NOT do balance transfers at a high utilization and LEAVE it there with MBNA.

No, why should you have? That's perfect behavior from a lender's perspective.

No, I have not revolved on MBNA. My high credit is about $7K on the card with a $20K limit. They WILL give you the third degree if you call them requesting a card benenfit and you don't revolve. You'll feel like you've met the KGB or something.

I did a BT for $7K, but paid so that I had a $7K credit before the $7K BT hit in order to prevent finance charges. They charged me $0.71 anyway and I called to have that credited, as I'd never seen a CC issuer charge a person less than a dollar. At that point the rep got very suspicious and demanded to know why I did the BT that way. I hedged but she asked several times, emphasizing that the 71 cents was a valid charge. Finally I told her that I did it for my Dad and only then did she agree to credit the 71 cents. Sheesh! She then gave me the third degree about not ever using their excellent BT rate of 3.7%. Didn't I understand that I was missing out??? I didn't have the heart to tell her that I haven't paid finance charges with a CC in over two years.

All of them do. That's how they make money.

3. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

$20,000+ BT BUT I AM DONE WITH MBNA UNTIL THEY GIVE ME A LIMIT INCREASE AND LOWER MY INTEREST RATE...

I have paid been making $2,000+ payments each month

4. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

BT's ARE NOW $75.00 EACH!!!!!

5. marci

marci Well-Known Member

Re: Re: MBNA and BT's ? Marci, anyone?

Really? That's a ridiculous charge for that transaction.

6. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

Re: Re: Re: MBNA and BT's ? Marci, anyone?

"MOST" others are $0.00...

A few are as high as $35.00-$50.00...BUT $75.00...that is just WAY TOO HIGH

7. thetravele

thetravele Well-Known Member

I paid $50 and have left the util. very high.

They have not jacked my rate yet.

8. Amy B

Amy B Well-Known Member

I guess what I meant by wondering if I shot myself in the foot is that you said you've not only never bt'd a high balance and left it with mbna, you've never even revolved a balance with them....as a result they seem to love you and raised you to 20k. I on the other hand bt'd a high balance and paid it off in 3 mos, but obviously it did revolve on mbna and it was a high util. (for 3 mos.)
    It would seem like they would like us to revolve so they could make money, but we've all heard the saying that the banks WANT to give money to people who don't need it. (no balances!!)
    I just hope mbna will rightfully see me as an excellent customer and credit risk! :)

9. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

ON THE "UP" SIDE...they prefer to BT it into your checking account...you can then do EFT's on the credit card web sites to pay other cards off...or send out some checks...ALL IT COSTS IS $75.00

AND NO 10 BUSINESS DAY "HOLD" AT THE BANK!!!

10. Amy B

Amy B Well-Known Member

EFT? I'm guessing that's electronic funds transfer? Do I EFT to my account from mbna then?

11. sam

sam Well-Known Member

i've been a customer of mbna for well over a year and my balances have never been over 1.7%.

I started at a $2500 mbna visa, at 5500 i was a mbna travel rewards visa, and now at 9800 and just recently 12300 i am an mbna quantum worldpoints cardholder.

I have never had any problems.

They do ding you for BT fee's but in the end it works out still pretty favourably if the balance is large enough.

12. Amy B

Amy B Well-Known Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: MBNA and BT's ? Marci, anyone?

You have never had a balance over 1.7%? ie 1.7% of 2500 = $42.50 ??

My balance has been well over 1.7%.