MBNA: Not enough cards

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by ShyGuy, Mar 14, 2001.

1. ShyGuy

ShyGuy Well-Known Member

My wife, who is building her credit, was turned down for a credit limit increase on a $200 MBNA Visa because she does "not have a sufficient amount of credit references."

If I read that right, it's not that her credit history is too short but that she doesn't have enough credit cards. In addition to the Visa, she has four store cards, three of them with $800.

Geez, how many cards does she need, and when will FICO start penalizing her for having too many cards?

2. roni

roni Well-Known Member

I was turned down for autorefinancing for insufficient credit file. "Delinquent file" I could understand. But Insufficient. NOw this is the same girl who's credit file is so long I can't get online delivery anymore from Equifax. My file starts from 1987 anyway. Even though my good credit starts at 1999. But that is not what it said technically.

I think they sometimes shoot these reasons out of their BUTT!

roni

3. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member

Last time I apply for Quantum Card and they denied me because they cannot extend more credit base on number of the accounts and the limit of the credit that I have. After a week they turned my Garfield Card to the Quantum Card. Last week, I apply for Barnes and Nobles card and they approved it. It shouldn't been approved based on the limit of the credit that they can extend and the income that I told them.It is strange,isn't it?

4. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

WHAT IS YOUR INTEREST RATE ON THE QUANTUM CARD?

MINIMUM CREDIT LINE?

5. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

MBNA Quantum

We just got this card. ok, my spouse got it but I ended up talking w/MBNA about which card to accept.

There are several Quantum offers. We were solicited for the no fee Quantum. And unfortunately, we went through 6 reps until we actually got the card applied for.

10K min line to qualify for Quantum. We took the absolutely no fee option w/13.99 APR. (My spouse NEVER carries a balance ever: Germans hate debt) Oh, and I mean no fees. No annual fee, no overthelimit fee, no late fees, nothing.

There was another offer that was no annual fee but all the other fees, and I think it was 9.9 or so. I would rather have this one: but I was vetoed :) I'm an AU on this account though, so I guess it doesn't matter. They told me they don't report AUs, and that to be a coapplicant I'd have to credit qualify. Oh well, I can live w/the Au for emergencies.

I wanted the second offer b/c the rep offered to me that, in their notes, it said that if a Quantum card member calls up and wants a refund on any fees, give it to them no questions asked. So I wanted the better APR if the fees would be rebated if we screwed up. Oh, and there's overthelimit approvals for travel related items anyway (eg: you get stranded and need a ticket home).

Oh, here's my warning about MBNA:
    At first they couldn't find the offer we applied for (we applied over the internet w/a reservation code): We applied and got a 8700 credit line, Platinum Plus. That's a joke b/c we just closed a perfect 25k line so the available "credit" was there they just didn't give it to us. Bait and switch. My spouse just laughed. Called up to immediately cancel. Can't stand BS. They tried to switch it to a Quantum. raised the limit to 10K, but forgot the Quantum part. We were told the Platinum Plus account had been cancelled. OH, the first rep told us that the Platinum Plus was the exact same card. Good god, give me a break.

About 2 weeks later and no Quantum card arrive but the Platinum Plus convenience checks did. Called up and the Quantum hadn't been activated, Platinum Plus account was still active.

That's when I started talking w/them b/c they'd ticked off the spouse WAY too much. I wanted this card!

On this retention call, we were told there were several Quantum offers but none w/absolutely no fees. Felt like such bait and switch. I finally told them that I felt like I was at a used car lot. Since we couldn't find the initial invitation to apply, we cancelled the card again. No Platinum Plus (even though it was a decent offer).

Later that night, we found the invitation so I called up. They told us they'd have to reactivate the Platinum Plus then switch it, or we could reapply. It started getting funny about then.

So, we let them reactivate the Platinum Plus only for them not to be able to find our offer (Even w/all the offer codes in hand). 2 hours later, yes, 2 hours later, we finally got a supervisor who knew of this card offer. I had a beer while waiting for them to find this offer. She told me that they didn't have to reactivate the PP card, she cancelled it :) and activated a new Quantum card.

She freaked when she saw all the notes on the account. She said the Quantum card dept would've known, but since we weren't in that dept yet (we were in the credit dept) we kept getting misinformation. She was amazed I'd kept trying to find this card.

She supposedly issued a Quantum card and now we're waiting to see if the real deal arrives in the mail. This all happened Fri night.

The offer, with all the benefits, is a great offer. Concierge service and tons of perks. Reminded me of the AMEX Black to some extent. Supposedly the card is opaque (nice looking). The slogan is "a transparent card that's clearly different". We finished the slogan with "because it doesn't really exist". :)

I think it's probably a great card, but we had quite an ordeal just getting the offer we were solicited. I really pushed the issue b/c I truly started believing they'd put out an offer that didn't exist and we were ready to really complain. Hope we really get it. :)

If I were you I'd just call up and get your credit line increased then ask for them to product transfer you to the Quantum. It's certainly worth the call.

6. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

Re: MBNA Quantum

I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY THEY HAVE NEVER OFFERED ME THE QUANTUM CARD BY MAIL OR PHONE...
    eight + years $20,000+ credit line on a PLATINUM PLUS VISA.

I will ask about 9.9%.

"ALREADY APPROVED" CREDIT LINE INCREASE AT SAME TIME???

7. ble103

ble103 Guest

FYI:MBNA dosn't issue their QUANTUM credit cards with credit lines less then 15K,so if you have a line less then that you won't get the quantum.You must have a minimum of 15K on a platinum plus card for MBNA to do a credit review ,and they deem that you have qualified for their quantum upgrade offer.I have a MBNA platinum plus with a 9K limit.I am working hard on getting 6k more in additional credit to qualify for their quantum upgrade offer,and i have an execellemt credit rating with a 3 cra's.

8. the other

the other Well-Known Member

I spoke to them about a week ago. 10k is the minimum credit line for the Quantum. They said they recently changed the minimum.

9. ShyGuy

ShyGuy Well-Known Member

So, should my wife call MBNA?

Would it do any good? I could have seen the increase being turned down because of insufficient history (her oldest card -- Macy's, of course -- is only about a year old, and the MBNA is nine months), but too few cards?

I told her to call, but she'd rather just look for a new Visa. (She joined her credit union at work last week, and the rep had her apply for a CU MasterCard at the same time.) She doesn't want much, but a $500 limit would be nice. Heck, even a $100 increase would be a start.

10. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

GEORGE

Call and ask for an upgrade. You qualify.
    If you need the Quantum direct number I'll give it to you... if we ever really get the cards :_)

11. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member

Re: GEORGE

George, the minimum credit line for Quantum Card is $10,000 and the fixed APR is 13.99%.

12. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member

I think Quantum Card is the toughtest one that you can get from MBNA and it took MBNA to process the application for one month. I don't know why they took it so long and my other MBNA account just took one week to approve it. Well, they denied me I exceed the total amount of the credit lines that they allowed based on my income. George, the rep told me if you don't qualify for the Quantum, they will give you Platinium Plus or the Preferred card(classic/regular). By the way, I request to convert Gardfield card to Quantum last month.

13. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member

George, you can convert your Platinium Visa with $20,000 to the Quantum. I think they will do it for you.

14. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member

The Quantum Card customer service number is (800)896-3698.

15. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

THANK YOU...
    I'll try for the ~9.90% fixed rate...

I already have >$20,000.00 credit line.
    8+ years old card.

16. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member

I never ask for lower rate because I got a couple of other cards with 9.9% fixed APR and I pay off balance every month.