mbna

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by eddie, Aug 8, 2001.

1. eddie

eddie Well-Known Member

mbna's website has a an option where you can request a credit line increase online. Has anybody used this feature? Do they put a hard inquiry on your report for a request? How often does mbna give out increases anyway.

2. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

NEVER did the on-line increase...
    Haven't had any increase in years...but I only asked once in the past two years for $400...DENIED...

I have $XX,600.00...$400 would have put it to the next $1,000...WEIRD CREDIT LINE TO KEEP TRACK OF...

Might be able to get it today...BUT THE WEB SITE SAYS...what do you want (multiple of $500).

3. the other

the other Well-Known Member

If you do it online, I think it can take a while. If you apply over the phone, they will have an answer for you in 15 minutes.

4. poobybear

poobybear Well-Known Member

Yes, they will do a hard inquiry. I have requested an increase online, and it took about seven days and was only for 300. You have to fill out a request form. They don't have a pre-approved increase system like Amex.

FYI: When I called them about it, the woman told me that they like for your total debt to income ratio to be 25%.

5. ble103

ble103 Well-Known Member

When MBNA said that they want a total of 25% income to debt ratio are they saying that if a person has an income of 32K to have no more then 8K worth of credit card balances?,or are they saying to have no more then $666.00 worth of monthly obiligations?Which one is it? thank you for your answers.

6. poobybear

poobybear Well-Known Member

I don't think that they were only looking at credit cards, I was under the impression that they looked at my car loan also. That puts me way over 50%. They still raised me, but if I would have had less debt, it might have been larger.

7. mj

mj Well-Known Member

Ble-

Debt to income ratio is reall "monthly payment to income ratio" (I know, a little confusing).

Add up all the reported monthly payments. If someone doesn't report one (Amex or Diners charge), the rule of thumb is 3% of the balance. Add 'em up, divide by your gross (before any deduction or taxes) monthly income, and that's the magic number.

I'm a little surprised at MBNA being soooo conservative- they have higher rates than most. The rule-of-thumb for mortgage applications is 36% (including housing). Most folks agree that anything over 48% means big trouble is brewing.

-mj